VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In before answers like just delete it or similar, i'm just asking if it's doable, im aware of all the different not so legal ways to mod it out.

So the question i have is somewhat simple and complicated at the same time, can you make a "high flow" exhaust system for a diesel with a DPF from a bigger engine to provide more room for exhaust gasses to move? That counts in sensor modifications and of course bigger diameter pipes. Has anyone done or seen someone doing something like this? I'm also aware of sport DPFs, so no need to mention that, just the question at hand is of importance atm :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
in most places that deleting would be illegal, any modifications whatsoever to the approved emissions system would also be illigeal.. so what you are wanting to do would have the exact same legal ramifications as removing it entirely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont quite understand, why would it have legal issues if its compliant with the emission standards? Its the same thing but just bigger/wider than the stock one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well for example in the USA, the Clean Air Act requires the engine and emissions gear to be all certified, the moment you make any modifications whatsoever to any of the emissions gear its no longer certified and you'd have to get the engine recertified, which costs significant enough money its prohibitive for a one off.. but there are companies making aftermarket solutions and can get em certified for various platforms.. and thats why those aftermarket systems cost so damn much money.

Putting a DPF from another vehicle into yours would be considered an illegal emissions modification in the US, just as a deleted DPF.. If you wish to stay within the law, all your emissions gear is completely untouched, and 100% OEM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, thats a bit strict, setting a standard for emissions should be the easier thing rather than the whole certification mess. It explains why nobody has done it before and why i couldnt find much in the custom area except a very few things for trucks. Im in EU though so for me its just important to have it installed and working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah they set the standards for the manufacturers and then they get certified once they have proved they met those standards, without that certification they cant sell em.. they dont let us plebs make those kind of engineering decisions.. the whole dieselgate thing was because the manufacturer detected when it was getting certified and ran another program that kept emissions within spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that was an interesting scandal lol things with diesels are a bit to tight these days tbh but its okay as long as you have options, without them its just needlessly complicated. I hope this weird idea works, would start a nice way of tuning things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts