VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys had any problems or experience with the TDI pumpe duse engine and wear of the camshaft, lobes, and lifters? I own one and have heard of the possible problems and was wondering if this has happenned to anyone. Should I be concerned and if this is a problem then why wouldn't VW stand behind their product? Is there any warning signs in the way the engine runs or is it necessary to take the engine apart to check if there is a problem?

Thanks, any help is appreciated as I'm becoming worried if I should hang on to this car, it only has 102,000 km.

2006 Jetta

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes. I've seen it on a few engines. Others seem to be OK. I suggest using oil rated for pumpe duse engines (don't know 100% if this will prevent wear because some have said it doesn't), and 5w-40 (some believe that wear is because 5w-30 is a little thinner). Nobody knows 100% the cause because only VW knows the statistics.

VW won't stand behind their product because it's cheaper not to. Most car companies are like this. Symptoms are rough idle, smoke, and thumping. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/camshaftInspection.htm Here is how to inspect for it. You just have to remove the valve cover and look. This is simple for anyone with basic mechanical experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's covered under warranty. According to gurus 1/5 may have it. VW is partially at fault for not requiring thicker oil and because it's their design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in Alberta, Canada and the only 505 01 oil I can purchase is 5w30 and that is from VW. I agree that 5w40 would be better especially in the summer. What is you guy's opinion should I hang onto this unit and take my chances or should I dump it? I don't mind some maintenance like timing belts, water pump etc. but camshaft, lifters, bearings and the like is starting to make the car turn into a money pit. It seems to run alright except there is an occasional miss or sputter when driving on the highway at low RPM'S between 1500-1800 any ideas what this is? I've been told it maybe the electronic signal delay from the throttle pedal to the fuel delivery system.
Thanks again, just being cautious.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hang onto it. It's only a few hundred dollars in parts to replace the camshaft and if you like the car it's no reason to dump it. The sputter could be the camshaft or it could just mean the camshaft needs adjustment, or something is loose or needs tweaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
06 jetta cam replaced, wont start

replaced cam, lifters, bearings, timing belt, engine cranks fine but it wony start. could it be the pump lost prime. I have vag com, it said mass air fault code. got any ideas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts