VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just registered to the site. I own a 2006 Jetta TDI with 189,000 kms (~117,000 miles). Started running rough about a month ago and the engine light came on. Bought a VAG reader and it was giving me a weird reading. Took it in to the dealership and they told me that glow plug # 1 was not working. Wanted $400 to replace all the glow plugs. Found 4 of them for about $120 and put them in myself in under 20 minutes. But problem never did go away.

Engine light still came on again. This time it was the MAF sensor. Bought a new one and switched it out. Did not fix it. Checked for leaks in the intake system. Could not find any. Checked the MAF sensor plug. All giving the appropriate voltage readings. So I took it in to the dealership again. Mechanic checked for leaks and everything else. Then proceeds to tell me he needed to pull the cam cover to look inside. Turns out that the camshaft lobe was worn on # 2 I think. Could not believe it. They quoted me $7k for a new cylinder head replacement. Quoted me $3k to just fix the camshaft and lifters. I looked at the service associate and asked him if this was normal on a TDI with only 117,000 miles. He had the audasity to say that its not common but he has seen it. Unreal. Paid $30,000 for this car and now I got to dish out a few thousand more. Brutal. They offered to cover 50% for the parts cost but funny thing is I found the kit from Bora for that price anyway.

Well anyway, plan to call VW of America and complain but ultimately I'm pretty sure I'll be left paying for most of this. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined so I'll be putting it in myself but still was not planning on dishing out $1200 for parts this early on for an engine that is supposed to last for well over 200k miles.

That's my rant. Will let you know if VW of America does anything for me.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Welcome! I rent the special tools for the camshaft job and the timing belt as well, send a PM if interested.

This is a very common problem. Sorry to hear your issue but please read the whole article in the FAQ for replacing the camshaft, not just the procedure. It gives some background info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts