VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Having recently completed a long and tiring cambelt change on my BXE engine, I cant but help feeling that the torque setting for the three 13mm cam sprocket bolts just doesnt seem tight enough - considering that if they move the engine explodes!!

I torqued them to the correct setting.......but keep wondering if it will be ok.........

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Well if you tightened the three 13mm camshaft sprocket bolts to 25Nm and they appeared tight then they should be ok, what torque did you use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I used the recommended torque, and I have covered a couple of thousand miles since - so they must be ok!

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
torque

I felt the same way about the whole timing belt change torque settings, i am used to working with way larger bolts and much higher torques in my job but i saw someone say, and i agree, that you can snap these tiny little bolts if you over torque them and then you are stuck. you can look up general torque settings in any mechanical engineering text or on an internet search. most of the bolts are probably carbon steel and you know the size (13mm). The other thing that i used to ease my mind was that part of what makes these cars good and desirable is the german engineering and they know their stuff.

Hopefully you get some sleep!

Byron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts