VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jetta BRM with approx 145k on the motor. I just started getting a noise that sounds almost like an exhaust leak, but I also am getting a loss of power, and actually sounds like the noises coming from from the videos in the how to: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm
It has been getting progressively worse the last few days. Rough idle and sputtering. I thought maybe a bad injector but I'm not altogether sure. I drive 120 miles a day round trip to work so I am concerned. I use the 5-30 505.1 TOTAL oil for the last 4 changes or so as well.
I guess I am in line to do the inspection of the camshaft but still am a little unclear as to the procedure although the write up is very nice and informative. Would I have to remove the injector lever covers for the check or is it done leaving them on.
I replaced the timing belt at about 100k as prescribed by the manual as well.
Also are the camshaft pulley counterholder and the camshaft pulley puller for tapered camshafts needed for the 06 BRM.

One more important question is how long can I drive this thing in this condition and what are the problems I will have if I do continue to drive it.

I wonder also if I'm looking at these kind of repairs all the time. I have already had to have the flywheel replace at $2k that VW didn't cover any of, now the cam I'm pretty sure. The trans is also starting to do some weird shifting. Have had to replace the glow plug harness and glow plugs, MAF sensor, fuel temp sensor, not including the regular maintenance. I'm probably forgetting some things. I thought I was getting a cost saver for my commuting, but it sure doesn't feel like it at this point.
Thanks much
Tim

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The steps are in the writeup but just so you're crystal clear,

Remove the valve cover, the black plastic thing on top of the cylinder head. You can see all the camshaft lobes. As you rotate the crankshaft by hand, some of the lobes will come into view and others will be hidden. You can feel with your finger if they're worn. However, you can't see the lifter tops clearly unless you remove the camshaft which requires timing belt removal. If the lobe tips are really worn it's a safe bet that the lobes are worn as well.

This may not necessarily be causing your problem but if the cam is worn it should be replaced and then you can isolate the running problem.

The tools are required (unless you can figure out how to substitite them) to separate the camshaft sprocket. The bolt is tightened to about 80 ft-lbs and pressed onto the camshaft. I rent them upon request too :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
You haven't inspected the camshaft so how do you know what kind of condition it's in? Check the cam, then decide from there. Although you've had to spend some money on repairs, the car has 145,000 miles on it. If you bought it new you've gotten plenty of life out of it, more than most people put on a car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You haven't inspected the camshaft so how do you know what kind of condition it's in? Check the cam, then decide from there. Although you've had to spend some money on repairs, the car has 145,000 miles on it. If you bought it new you've gotten plenty of life out of it, more than most people put on a car.
I put 178K on my Toyota truck, city driving mostly, and the only thing I did was change the brake pads and spark plugs. Sold it to my brother and he's still driving it.
I would expect to get more from a diesel before having problems. It seems these 06's in general are lacking in quality, whether it's the engineering that went into them or just generally poor quality control where ever they are assembled, or lack of quality control on the parts used.

All of the problems I've had I could read at the TDI forums and almost predict what my next problem would be. I am just thankful that there are such great forums and members that share their experiences to make the process some what easier in recognizing what was going on before I was left on the side of the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 2006 TDI - BRM with 153k.... let me stress the had part. Talked to many of the techs at 3 different dealers around the Chicago area, they all told me the issue is a design flaw in the head. Seems to make sense when you look at it, why the hell would you have abnormal wear on only the outer lobes... since this a characteristic of the pumper duse motor. Yeah you could spend the money for the cam kit and all of the additional parts associated with repairing the head, but its my understanding the problem will only come back again. Dealer told me they usually got these cars in around 60k and replaced the head on them... dude asked me how the hell I got so many miles out of it before cam blew. So if you ask me, I think VW really screwed up on this one and they are not willing to owe up to it.... and yes, you are absolutely right, these engines should be able to crank out at least 400k with normal maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cam

Just got my jetta back from the shop. 1,3 and 4 cylinders all had bad followers/cam lobes. #3 had a hole in it and cam lobe was almost flat. 146k, used 505.1 exclusively, 5-40 elf, last 4 or so changes total 5-30.
It had the silver cam followers installed, new ones are black. Cam bearings looked almost new.

Took it to Wolf Auto Repair on Losee road in Vegas. Gotta watch careful, forgot to change the oil, a few items under the hood were not connected back up, went over quote. $2100 to get the work done.
He did change the serpentine belt and fixed (epoxy) a cracked fitting on the top cover though, and that was not on the original quote.
Time will tell. 15-40 Red Line syn diesel oil installed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Has anyone done the cam replacement done only to have to do it again? I like to think i have been pretty thorough on my research and this is the first I have read this. I just order the parts and now I am bit confused!

2006 TDI Jetta 156,xxx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cam, MAF or EGR??

I also have a hesitation or 'hitching' at low RPMs with my 2006 Jetta TDI- took it to couple of dealers and one said cam was the problem (wear on lifters)- replaced it and still experiencing the problem at low RPMs - reading some of these threads could be the MAF or the EGR.... Any advice is appreciated. Happens only at low RPMs, sometimes will almost stall, especially if you try to accelerate, when finally engages, puff of black smoke comes out tail pipe. Oil changes on time everytime with new filter (which was just done with the cam 3 days ago). Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it's a DSG, the flywheel is suspect for the low rpm hesitation. But it usually doesn't cause a big puff of black smoke, that could be the EGR or something related to it. You have to do more troubleshooting to narrow it down since I'm just guessing the most common causes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but seem to be having similar problems with my VW GOLF 2002 GT TDI (150). A few weeks ago it started sounding noisy at idle so I wiped the cam cover off to find the lobes and followers in bad condition. Does anyone know where I can buy good quality replacements parts other the the main dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parts

I pretty much shop exclusively at TDparts. Between TDIclub and TDParts there really is not much that cant be diagnosed and fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts