VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Jetta TDI BRM 207000 miles quit running on the highway for about 1/4 mile. It restarted on its own and I continued on. Did a VCDS scan and found a code for a Cam Position Sensor Fault. How hard is it to replace this sensor. And why has it been running ever since. Is there a loose ground wire or almost broken wire somewhere. Is this a common fault on this engine. I have had the car since new. The cam has been replaced at 137,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,921 Posts
You need to post the error codes found with VCDS?

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to post the error codes found with VCDS?

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment.
Hi Keith, Do you want me to post the whole VCDS download or do I just try to post the first part of the scan with the quick scan. I have never attached one of these before.

·
Super Moderator
8,921 Posts
Hi Keith, Do you want me to post the whole VCDS download or do I just try to post the first part of the scan with the quick scan. I have never attached one of these before
You need to post just the error codes found or you can add the VCDS log file to your post? Its only a small text file you can add it as an attachment.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hi Keith, Do you want me to post the whole VCDS download or do I just try to post the first part of the scan with the quick scan. I have never attached one of these before.
If your rig died on it's own, suddenly, it is probably the crank position sensor. It is the one sensor that will not throw a code...I know this for a fact - on my 2004 BEW PD wagon, while i had VCDS hooked up and vehicle running, i wiggled the wiring on the CPS down at the sensor end where it is mounted, and caused the enging to stall, and resume running. when I checked the VCDS for engine codes, it showed none.

If you don't have any codes, start there. the Cam pos. sensor will throw a code, but the engine will continue to run without it. However, the engine will not run without the primary Crank position sensor.

may your solution be so simple...and cheap!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had intermittent loss of power along with the cam shaft position sensor code. I cleaned the plug contacts on the wiring harness and replaced the cam position sensor. I have had no issues since the repair. Total repair time 30 min to an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I am now in the process of replacing cam sensor. Will post a how to when I am done. My VCDS showed a fault for the cam sensor. Will do another scan when up and running. Can someone tell me how to post a picture by picture how to article . I am not sure what area to post it on.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cam Sensor Replacement Procedure on 2006 vw Jetta TDI
First you should disconnect the ground on your battery just for safety sake.
You will now have to remove the intercooler top inlet hose to gain access to the top timing cover. I have posted pictures with an arrow showing the quick clips to release the hose. Just pull the clip and pull the hose clips partially out. You will have to remove a T30 torx screw at the mounting bracket that holds the hose in place. You can remove the hose in one unit just wiggle it under the fuel filter lines and it is out. Next remove the top of the timing cover by releasing the two clips and lifting straight up. Now you can gain access to the 10mm bolt holding the cam sensor which is located between the timing belt and upper pulley. I used a short socket and a universal with an extension . Overkill probably but it works. I also stuck a towel in the bottom area of the timing belt and block just in case the bolt fell out of the socket. I did use a extend magnet holding it under the socket just in case the bolt fell out. Now you can unplug the connector which is located in front of the engine just under the fuel rails. Just push down and pull at the clip. Now follow where the wire goes through the block and there is a rubber plug which I used a long screwdriver to pop out. Now pull the cam sensor from the pulley side and pull the plug in connector out through the hole. Bingo. The whole job should only take you less than an hour or less. Now install the new sensor . It has a nipple which fits into a hole while you are putting the bolt in to hold it in place while you are tightening the bolt. Don't over tighten. Hope these instructions help. Install in reverse procedure.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts