VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just to introduce myself, I own a VW Golf Mk IV, 1999 with the AGR engine code, I currently run it on a two tank system using new vegetable oil. I live in Wokingham, UK. I would like to congratulate whoever posted the DIY guide on replacing the cambelt.
After I initially ignored the Haynes manual’s instruction in obtaining special tools and assuming changing the cambelt was a simple operation as it is on other vehicles and discovered the error of my ways and completely lost the timing, it was the photo and instructions with regard to the position of the front lobes on the cam which I eventually managed to get it all back together again running sweetly.
That will allow the old girl to carry on (155k completed so far)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Woohoo! Someone with the same engine as me:D Haynes manuals just don't have the stuff you want in my opinion, it's always see your nearest dealer, yeh that'll help, NOT lol. Do you have a vnt turbo or a wastegate? If you have a vnt could you tell me which ecu you have? Cheers

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tdi Polo Cambelt change

Hi, new here. I replaced a cam belt on a Tdi Polo 1.9 yesterday. The tensioner doesn't feel right. I tensioned it until the markers aligned, but it felt stiff when the markers reached alignment. Like I had to force it to align. The allen key hole is on top off the securing nut(started out at the bottom with no tension). Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Was it a new tensioner? They can be a bit stiff but as long as the tab at the back is correctly inserted and the marker lines up then it should be fine. It should move when you push the longest part of the belt but not by much. Check the timing belt articles in the faq for more info.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

I'm also just to introduce myself, I own a Golf IV -98 with the AHF engine and Passat -97 with AHU engine. Both cars are with evrymod. I'm trying to change new followers, but I don't yet have timing tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts