VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I own a 2006 VW Jetta TDI- BRM engine. It seems as though after 150k, she's not running too well. I have followed the routine scheduled maintenance to the tee. I've got an intermittent misfire on number 4 cylinder. While talking to a few of my car friends, they think it could be the EGR valve clogged or clogged intake. Reading your topic on camshaft problems, I am beginning to wonder if this is what it maybe? Is there a way to determine this problem without removing the valve cover and visually inspecting or should i just bite the bullet and pull it? The misfire seems to be prevalent when there is a load on the engine otherwise it runs fine at idle. I also get an excessive amount of exhaust "black smoke" out the tailpipe. If it is a problem with lifters and camshaft, what's to say my wife continues to drive it this way, how much more damage do you think will be done in addition to cam and lifter ware? Like some feed back from all of you

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can pull and reinstall the valve cover in 1 hour if it's your first time.

Duplicate post removed.

It's unknown what kind of damage will occur. If it's minor it's probably not causing the problem and won't do anything bad for a while. If it cracks the lifter it will send metal bits everywhere. If it's really bad it could possibly cause the timing belt to skip or damage the valve. I wouldn't be surprised if #4 was worn because #1 and 4 are often the first to wear.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with your wife's driving:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as damage on my 2005 brm. The worn lifter on my engine had a hole and it wore down the top of my valve. Not causing it to stop functioning, but still did not look very good. I opted to not replace the valve and the car has been great for 700 miles. Don't wait too long. My only initial warning was a "feathering" when the car accelerated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My final symptoms were noise at "valve train" speed most noticeable over 2000 RPM, a general reduction in power, and in an enclosed space (drive-up window) I could hear a "miss".

I drove about 1200 miles that way. One lifter worn through, no apparent damage to anything. Unlikely the valve would be hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as damage on my 2005 brm. The worn lifter on my engine had a hole and it wore down the top of my valve. Not causing it to stop functioning, but still did not look very good. I opted to not replace the valve and the car has been great for 700 miles. Don't wait too long. My only initial warning was a "feathering" when the car accelerated.
Can you please explain me more about what the "feathering" is? Or can anyone here share what's your initial warining about the worn cam?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Always hard to explain car problems, but here it goes. I have a stick and when I accelerated the "feathering" was at the initial throttle imput and clutch engagement. There was a loss of power that wasn't stuttering, but a gentle "feather" feeling. This was through all the gears. I did fuel, oil and air filter changes, but it did not go away. The thing finally just (within 15 miles from first noise) started sputtering and shaking. It sounded 2 times worse than the video posted on this site. The engine was shaking and I thought I had broken a motor mount and had the exhaust break from the engine. Turns out it was the lifters as told before. I hope that helps. Good news is I replaced the cam, lifters and timing belt with the help of this site. about $1400 with parts, tools, fluids

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally had time to pull the cover for inspection. As suspected, lobes #1 and # 4 worn and evidence of metal shavings are in the oil. Intake manifold looks to have excessive build up of carbon as well. I am not sure what I am going to do as of yet. I contacted VW and told them the problem.... also explaining that all service and maintenance done to the vehicle was performed at a dealer as well as all genuine VW parts and additives used and have all receipts to prove it. I don't expect too much from them but it's worth a shot. Thought about trading the vehicle in and letting the next guy deal with the problem, but at this point its not a viable option. Hopefully I will get some response from VW as to if this is a manufacture defect or if I am just screwed. As for now the car is down and I won't be putting too many more miles on it until I have a solution.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Most people feel that it's a design defect and/or thin oil. 5w-40 is probably better for these cars. Well, it lasted 150k, if you replace the cam and switch to heavier oil it probably won't happen for at least another 150k. But in the meantime, good idea to see if they'll work with you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As suspected, Talked to VW corporate.... Lady over the phone was very nice but couldn't give me any info as to repair updates or design changes... she offered me 1000 bucks on new purchase of vehicle.... kind of insulted by the offer... emailed them told them an offer of 3500 would be more of a reasonable offer.... figuring thats about what it would cost to repair the car sooooo we will see again what happens.... funny, offering me money on a new vehicle seems to me like VW is admitting fault on there design mistake right? maybe everyone that has this issue should ask for the same request... maybe enough requests would send a message to these idiots that we are not going to take it up the a$$ with there mistakes. TDI engines should last min 400K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They offered me the same thing. I laughed. I bit the bullet and am having my cam and dmf replaced. I'm still not happy with spending that kind of money on a 4 year old car. File a report with the NHSTA. I did for the dmf and cam. Maybe one day we will get lucky and VW will man up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts