VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the cam be rotated without the long green or blue tool?
Or can the crankshaft to rotated with a common tool, which will also rotate the cam?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Silly question: is the timing belt on the engine? I assume you're asking about the PD engine that's implied in your signature...

If the belt's still on, I'd put a 12-point (19mm ???) socket on the center bolt in the harmonic balancer and rotate the engine from there..

If the belt is off, then rotate the crankshaft counter-clockwise 90 degrees... then you can easily rotate the camshaft in order to have a close look at the cam lobes...

Yuri

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this would be a pre TB cam inspection on my Passat 2.0 PD.
So access to the harmonic balancer center bolt is not a problem from the top, or do I access from the bottom with the splash shield removed?
Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's better to rotate it from the bottom. The engine will turn over fine if you rotate it from the camshaft sprocket but I'm told it's harder on the belt tensioner. If the serp and AC belts are on, it gives the engine more resistance so if they are on, it's best to rotate it from the bottom.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's better to rotate it from the bottom. The engine will turn over fine if you rotate it from the camshaft sprocket but I'm told it's harder on the belt tensioner. If the serp and AC belts are on, it gives the engine more resistance so if they are on, it's best to rotate it from the bottom.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One last question; is the valve cover gasket reusable? I think the answer is yes...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've re-used my PD/BEW valve cover gasket 5 times with no issue whatsoever.
Why so many times?

UPDATE
Well I just reused it for the first time.
Cam inspection revealed one lobe (front most) had the chamfer blending into the profile a bit. The lifters looked flat and shiney.
Is this something to act on yet, or wait until symptons appear?
:dunno

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I did, but it wasn't as easy to do as on my stang, not much room to work with.
I was fortunate that the rubber cover was not in place (came out after the BSM replacement and landed near the turbo).

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It is possible to remove the cam, have a machine shop check and polish the lobes, put in new lifters and bearings, and put it back. As long as the cam profile is unchanged it'll at least same some money.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess besides just doing a visual inspection, actually measuring the lift would have been a good idea.
I didn't see any weird looking wear patterns on the lobes if that helps, but the one with the chamfer mostly gone is concerning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts