VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright; I give up....Are there reasonably priced cam bearings available for the 1.9 ALH engine?

I have looked high and low, and either they are not sold, or the price is astronomical. I have even checked with some European web sites, and they do sell the 1.9 PD cam bearings, but not the ALH's.

BTW...I have not checked with the VW dealers, since I'm afraid they will be even higher priced.

Please, any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I just read a post over on another site talking about the same thing and they're saying thast the alh doesn't have bearings unless maybe it's a remanufactured head and on any shop sites they sell camshafts but no bearings. It might be a machine shop/engineers job for that but maybe someone else knows something different.:)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Seatman; I was also wondering if perhaps the 1.9 ALH engine does not have cam bearings. I will have the old cam out today and I will post whether or not the engine cam with them.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There are no cam bearings on the ALH. A machine shop could machine the head and make them for you if the bore needed machining. VW/aftermarket does not make them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wondering if the cam bore bearing surfaces have some kind of plating on them similar to a 2 stroke motorcycle cylinder? If so, it may be required to re-plate in order to fix the problems.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think they're just a straight bore but a machine shop can take off some metal and fit bearings from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Well I've just looked through ETKA and it doesn't show any camshaft bearings. IT shows a replacement head with valves and camshaft for the ALH, AGR, AHF, ASV - 038 103 265 AX - £981.75 which you obviously won't be buying.

Now looking at a few other heads and none of them show camshaft bearings. The only that does is the ATD, ASZ, ARL, AXR - camshaft bearing shell yellow - 038 103 673 C GLB - 10 off £5.96 per pair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts