VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just introducing myself. Stumbled on the forum while searching for answers, looked like a good place to start.

Working on a 2000 Cabrio
The battery died on my a few days ago. Was only showing 9.6 volts, so it wouldn't even crank. Threw the charger on overnight at 2mps. Went to start it in the morning and it would turn over but only for 1 second. Battery is fully charged, but still the car refuses to stay running. People have suggested an immobilizer issue. But others have also stated that the car doesn't have one.

So I dug deeper, opened up the key and found the RF Chip. I also opened the steering column shroud to find what looks like an immobilizer ring. So all signs are looking like I have one. The only thing I am missing is the immobilizer icon in the dash. People have said it looks like a key in a car icon. But I do not have that. So I am not sure what gives.

When I turn the ign on, all the dash lights, turn on and I cannot find a immobilizer icon.
After a few seconds only 3 dash lights are left. Oil Pressure, Battery, Check Engine.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
2000 may have one. You found a chip in key and antenna ring so you most likely have one on that car.

When you say turn over but only for a second, does the engine run OK? A bad immo will let the engine RUN but shuts off after a second.

To know for sure you have to use a VCDS tool to access measuring blocks and see key status.

Take a look at the immobilizer FAQ in the FAQ section 1000q for more details on how the system works. If you have immo you have immo 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does start up fine, and engine sounds as it should. The idle is held at 1500 briefly before shutting down. Although I did notice, that after the engine dies, I am left with the OIL,Batt, and Engine icon. The oil pressure icon flashes 16 times before going steady.
Also I have no access to owners manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The cabrio does have an immobilizer, but typical Cabrio it is different than all others. I know this because I battled an ecu swap in one.

The one I did was immo 3 but instead of having the immo in the ecu and the instrument cluster it has a separate immo box. You still need the skc to do anything.

As chitty has stated, make sure it is an immo issue. An immobilized car will start fine and run for maybe 2 second then quit. If it runs longer it could be something else altogether.

Also if you haven't done so already reset all computers in the car by removing the battery cables and touching them together for a minute or so. I have had voltage induced immo problems reversed by doing that alone. You will need your radio code to revive the deck after that.

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I'm not sure what an RXS is google it brings back mainly Passat. Others are talking about Cabrio and they do a Golf Cabrio.

These immobilizers can be a pain in the backside when the battery goes discharged as I have found out http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f4/passat-immobilizer-4472/. Now the symtoms are showing an immobilizer problem but the CEL/MIL light isn't showing. I think with just the ignition on it should light up which you say yours doesn't, are you sure the bulb is ok?

As they say there are 3 types of immobilizer used Immo 1, Immo 2 and Immo 3 (see pic). If you read the FAQ on immobilizers you will see that some immobilizer controller is behind the steering column cover usually a white box the others are built into the instrument panel. I think Immo 1 is in the instrument panel well it is on mine.

Well VCDS didn't fix our problem but I didn't know about this.

chittychittybangbang said:
To know for sure you have to use a VCDS tool to access measuring blocks and see key status.
Thats another reason for having http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f10/vcds-vag-com-section-here-3918/

Happy New Year. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The check engine light does come on, when key is ON. And stays on when it starts for 2 seconds and stays on after the engine has died. I traced the immo wires into a black box with 2 harnesses going to it behind the steering and under the cluster.

I already disconnected the battery and discharged the cables. DMM measured 0 volts on cables. Left it that way for an hour. I also left key ON for an hr with trickle charger. Pulled down fuse panel and checked all fuses and radio fuse. All in good order. All attempts have lead me no where.

·
Super Moderator
9,403 Posts
The check engine light does come on, when key is ON. And stays on when it starts for 2 seconds and stays on after the engine has died. I traced the immo wires into a black box with 2 harnesses going to it behind the steering and under the cluster.
So it does light up then?

Don't get confused with the wire coming of the black plastic ring around the ignition barrel thats the sensor pickup that senses the correct key is inserted and that will go into the loom and up to the intruments if there is no white box in there. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts