VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if anyone has experience with slotted rotors.
I heard they wear faster depending which pads you use
rotors for the mk5 are not cheap any suggestions.
I got some cheap 39.99 for pair slotted.
thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
They will wear the pads faster. Yes it's trie that they'll clean the pads but under real world conditions they won't stop much faster if at all.

I would go with regular rotors, everything will last longer, less dust, often cheaper. If you want better stopping, get better tires.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Well considering you have a 2010 Jetta you don't want brake rotors (UK they are brake discs) already do you?

Now the idea behind these slotted discs which is similar to drilled discs is if any dust/grit gets trapped between the pad and disc it holds it and in theory throw it out as the disc revolves with speed. They also trap any water that settles on the discs this is the big reason motorcycles discs are drilled, I drilled my own. The other slight advantage with drilled discs is its less unsprung weight, not that you will notice.

Now you may think that drilling holes or slots in a discs will reduce the braking surface area it does but the braking surface area has nothing to do with friction its the pressure applied. I will give you a lesson on this if you want me too?

The prices of brake discs can vary a lot you just have to search. ;)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=vw jetta 1.9 brake discs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts