VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to these kind of websites but I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible for my up coming purchase. I am looking to pick up a used TDI Jetta and am looking for some tips. I want to know what to look for when buying one and what year is the best. I am currently thinking about the 2005.5. I am aware of all the common faults but am wondering if all this can be avoided if all maintenance that is scheduled is done and done properly. I am planning on buying my new TDI in Sept. so I don't have long to find the right one for me. PLEASE HELP TDI owners!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Check out the new buying guide in the FAQ.

2005.5 is a good year since they came with a lot of features that weren't on the 2006 or were only on higher trim levels. Can all the common faults be avoided? Maybe. However, I wouldn't count on it. Try to find a manual and budget to replace the timing belt and camshaft. If you don't, see it as good luck. Otherwise, the most reliable ones are 2002-2003 but they have relatively high mileage and the mk5 is a much improved chassis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2002-2003 Jetta TDI

What are some of the problems of the 2002-2003 models (drivetrain, timing belt, engine, ect. ect.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts