VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Buyers Remorse

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Corey@IDParts 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2003 jetta tdi, it test drove fine and the seller seemed real honest. After buying the car and driving home, the check engine light came on and lost power. Now every time I drive the car it goes into limp mode. I checked all the vacume and intake lines for leeks and they seem fine. Now I'm noticing moisture and black soot on the ground below tail pipe where the car had been idling. And the oil is black and greasy and there are air bubbles in the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter. How bad is this? do I need to rebuild the pistons and rings? This car has 105,000 miles and the oil looks as though it has not been changed for years. Is it possible that an oil and filter change can fix this? Im in northern Ca. does anyone know a good mechanic? !@#@#^$#@^:

#2 ·
The engine oil looks jet black about 1 minute after leaving an oil change. A little soot and carbon in the old engine oil turns the new oil black soon after it mixes. Greasy I don't know about.

Limp mode won't be fixed with an engine oil and filter change, 100%. For all you know, your test drive could have popped something loose and cause limp mode to start to appear. I wouldn't get too angry since limp mode is a very common problem and it pops up suddenly.

Air bubbles in the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter can be a bad o-ring or other. A few bubbles is normal, many bubbles is abnormal. I can't tell you how much is too much unless I were to see it running.

Sent you a PM with some mechanics and contact info.

#4 ·
Hey 2slack,

No remorse! What you are experiencing is really easy stuff to fix and get the car working perfectly.

Air in fuel: usually comes from the "T" shaped valve on the top of the fuel filter. I'd put in a new fuel filter and replace the o-rings on the valve. These are usually included with the filter. Or, replace the T valve.

Black oil: chitty said it already, this is a diesel, happens immediately, very normal, but the soot, which causes the oil to turn black, puts different stress on the oil, so its important to use a diesel specific oil.

Limp mode is easy to fix if you want to do some R&R on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.