VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I summarized all the info on the 2009 TDI out there. I'll add to it as needed. In fact, I just remembered that there was speculation that this car used a timing chain, no way no how. It uses a belt.

Basically, it includes invoice, MSRP, option pricing, and some other stuff. I will add 2005.5-2006 TDI info later since it's in the same generation but due to demand, I put this up for now.

You can view here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2009-2010-VW-Jetta-TDI-checklist.htm

I see comparisons between the Jetta and Prius on internet forums. The recent Jetta vs. Prius publicity stunt helped fuel this. These cars are very different in driving feel, size, and looks. They do share similar fuel economy but have different strengths. I added this bit to the article:

Remember that fuel economy is not everything, if it were I'd be on a scooter!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the demo is not for sale, it's the property of VW. I don't know what they are going to do with it.

Added some info about the loyal edition. Basically, it's low production cars that use some the old navigation system if you order it, and a sunroof and premium radio for a lower cost than if you were to order them on a later car. Colors are limited.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I think someone said that they were able to order the demo after VW was done with it, don't know how accurate the dealer was being, if at all.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I summarized all the info on the 2009 TDI out there. I'll add to it as needed. In fact, I just remembered that there was speculation that this car used a timing chain, no way no how. It uses a belt.

Basically, it includes invoice, MSRP, option pricing, and some other stuff. I will add 2005.5-2006 TDI info later since it's in the same generation but due to demand, I put this up for now.

You can view here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/jettachecklist.htm

I see comparisons between the Jetta and Prius on internet forums. The recent Jetta vs. Prius publicity stunt helped fuel this. These cars are very different in driving feel, size, and looks. They do share similar fuel economy but have different strengths. I added this bit to the article:

Remember that fuel economy is not everything, if it were I'd be on a scooter!
Good tips, the new nav is kind of pricey, Ford sync or the Chrysler systems are a lot cheaper. The sync also has bluetooth and voice support.

I wish people remembered that more often. I like to lurk other BBs, the prius forums are really bad when it comes to the vile that comes out when they attack other cars.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Most prius owners are horrible. Dieselheads know a little about their cars, prius owners generally know nothing about their cars and think that their cars are the best thing on the road.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Thanks, summing up all this stuff was a good idea, I've been keeping up with all the threads out there but some of it is BS and speculation....like the one who insisted that the belt setup would be replaced with a chain after 1 year....VW would have to design a whole new engine for that, you can't just slap on a chain.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
FYI, there are a few dealers giving out deals. CA seems to be the worst, a few dealers are asking $2000-3000 above MSRP. At that price, it's worth it to go for a road trip to buy your car.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I included that a few rare are giving below MSRP but if you want a car now, be prepared to pay MSRP, in CA, you have to look harder or wait until the winter before buying. I believe that by the winter, you should be able to get MSRP if it's not available to you now. Every hot car, the mini, the nissan GTR, the honda s2000, the BMW m3, the corvette z06. these were all asking up to 10,000 above MSRP when they were brand new, buyers could have saved $10,000 just by waiting 6 months. The TDI has a $2-3000 markup, think about how much fuel that buys.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Yes, I included that a few rare are giving below MSRP but if you want a car now, be prepared to pay MSRP, in CA, you have to look harder or wait until the winter before buying. I believe that by the winter, you should be able to get MSRP if it's not available to you now. Every hot car, the mini, the nissan GTR, the honda s2000, the BMW m3, the corvette z06. these were all asking up to 10,000 above MSRP when they were brand new, buyers could have saved $10,000 just by waiting 6 months. The TDI has a $2-3000 markup, think about how much fuel that buys.
But then you can't be the coolest guy on the block! You have to pay for that privlege!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there any way to tell a 2.0 from a 1.9 TDI?
No black soot on the rear bumper and a blue "I" on the TDI badge.

Someone posted this on tdiclub, it is an update on the TDI wagon, it confirms that leather is not available on any TDI.
Leather is only available in the SportWagen SEL for Jetta's.

Availabilty of the 2009 TDI does depend on your dealer, his allocation, and where you are situated with your deposit on your SportWagen. I do know that NONE have been delivered to customers as of the 14th of August. They were released for sale on the 15th. Currently in the entire US there are only 8 in Dealer stock (8 auto/0 manual), 40 in transit to dealers (32 auto/8 manual), and 42 (19 auto/23 maual) at the port. This if for almost 700 dealers! I am not sure what other dealers are doing for pricing, but we are selling at MSRP (for local residents and repeat customers). We have put bump stickers on ours to keep way the wholesalers looking to buy and send to auction. Other than these guys we are at sticker, not above! I have heard of some dealers marking these up almost $3k. Just doesnt seem like good business to my loyal customers.

Houston may be the only place to have any of these vehicles in stock,other than the launch vehicles. All of these vehicles are shipping form the Port in Houston and would have left on Thursday night Friday am.

Try not to get frustrated if you want one or are waiting for one. VWOA will be increasing the production of the TDI. There will be plenty by Spring of 2009. Jetta TDI will account for 30% of the total Jetta production in 2009.

Hope this helps.

Bill Colgate
President/General Manager
Brown's Volkswagen
Richmond, VA

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some major updates to the article:

added youtube reviews, a virtual walkaround video, and a video that shows the panoramic sunroof on the wagon.

added color samples and some pics of the multifunction steering wheel and GTI steering wheel. The wagon does not have the multifunction wheel but you can swap it, it's plug-play. If you want the sport steering wheel from the GLI/GTI, it's also plug-play.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts