VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Jetta BRM with the dsg, I’ve been trying to figure out my bumper lights now for the last few months and I’m not sure where else to look. Basically they will randomly decide to go out, sometimes is just the passenger side sometimes it’s both or there are times where they won’t do it at all. I’ve checked the wiring and from what I can tell it is good. I’ve put the correct bulbs in the light housings, replaced the taillight housings thinking maybe something with with wiring for the led in the corner of them. I’ve also checked the parking lights or city lights (not sure what they would be called) in the headlight housings and they are still on when the bumper lights go out. I’ve tried looking up fuses and haven’t had much luck in trying to find the right fuse diagram. According to my owners manual all the lights on each side are ran off of one fuse per side and I’ve tried switching them around. I don’t know if the out light system can be disabled for just those lights for testing, I do have vcds. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
2006 Jetta BRM with the dsg, I’ve been trying to figure out my bumper lights now for the last few months and I’m not sure where else to look. Basically they will randomly decide to go out, sometimes is just the passenger side sometimes it’s both or there are times where they won’t do it at all. I’ve checked the wiring and from what I can tell it is good. I’ve put the correct bulbs in the light housings, replaced the taillight housings thinking maybe something with with wiring for the led in the corner of them. I’ve also checked the parking lights or city lights (not sure what they would be called) in the headlight housings and they are still on when the bumper lights go out. I’ve tried looking up fuses and haven’t had much luck in trying to find the right fuse diagram. According to my owners manual all the lights on each side are ran off of one fuse per side and I’ve tried switching them around. I don’t know if the out light system can be disabled for just those lights for testing, I do have vcds. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

This model year has the most screwed up electrical system of all time, starting with the infamous door wiring harness. Wish I could offer any help, but all I can say is NOTHING surprises me when it comes to lights, sensors, windows, etc. I wish you all the best in solving this.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
My ‘06 Jetta ate those little corner light bulbs like cornflakes. Long story short, I got off of my wallet and got amber LEDs for the front corners and red LEDs for the rear. Yes, I get the colored LEDs. If you ever seen a bright white led behind the amber or red lens at night and then an amber LED behind and amber filter, you will understand. Those colored filters were designed around an incandescent or filament style light bulb, not bright ass LEDs.

The reason your blow them all the time is three fold.
First, incandescent light bulbs dim (wear out) over time. If you still have your original interior bulbs, they would be a dim and a deep yellow to orange color. They are NOT as bright as a new incandescent bulb.
Secondly the weak filaments plus pot holes don’t mix. It will kill them instantly.
Lastly, that neat function that tells you all your light bulbs are working… How do you believe this happens or works? Well the computer sends small pulses of low power to all the bulbs and looks for continuity or a complete circuit. This electrical pulse is not high enough to illuminate the OEM style incandescent bulb. Regardless, I believe this testing every time you start the car, lights on or off, is very hard on those tiny incandescent bulb filaments.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might have to look into the leds for them, the wired thing is the bulbs still work, if I shut the car off lock it then unlock it they will work for about 10 minutes or so before they shut off again.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
This symptom does change things, “if I shut the car off lock it then unlock it they will work for about 10 minutes or so before they shut off again”
I believe you should be chasing an electrical controller problem, not a light bulb problem. The light bulb issue seems to be the symptom of the actual problem.
1. Does your security system work when you lock it? Horn chirps (if set) lights flash?
2. What does VCDS say, Errors? Like door module or other electrical system issues.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This symptom does change things, “if I shut the car off lock it then unlock it they will work for about 10 minutes or so before they shut off again”
I believe you should be chasing an electrical controller problem, not a light bulb problem. The light bulb issue seems to be the symptom of the actual problem.
1. Does your security system work when you lock it? Horn chirps (if set) lights flash?
2. What does VCDS say, Errors? Like door module or other electrical system issues.
I’ll scan it this weekend when I get home and look.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So this is the code that I have found
Address 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: 1K0-959-701-MIN2.lbl
Part No: 1K0 959 701 K
Component: Tuer-SG 024 2377
Coding: 0001269
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3635215D744B65AB0DF-8062

1 Fault Found:
01811 - Supply Voltage for Door Controller; Drivers Side (J386)
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

008581 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor on Radiator Outlet (G83)
P2185 - 000 - Signal too High
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 425143 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 04:47:42

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3234 /min
Speed: 122.0 km/h
Load: 100.0 %
Voltage: 14.59 V
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Temperature: 88.2°C
Temperature: 71.1°C

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
So that problem is for the window motor controller. Rolls window up/down pinch protection. (Part No: 1K0 959 701 K)
I don’t see this as your issue, it is AN issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts