VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 10k done at the dealership and thought I would share. The service advisor told me that the oil they use for the tdi is kept in bulk(I asked for the container with the left over .5 qt). From everything I've read about 507, it's only in containers. Another service professional told me that any oil in their 500 family will do for the tdi. To top it all off, it was overfilled. I plan on calling VWOA on Monday; am I over-reacting? I feel that I need this whole thing documented incase they used the wrong oil, and I have a problem later down the road. Also, should I insist they tow the car instead of driving it back to the dealership?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just had my 10k done at the dealership and thought I would share. The service advisor told me that the oil they use for the tdi is kept in bulk(I asked for the container with the left over .5 qt). From everything I've read about 507, it's only in containers. Another service professional told me that any oil in their 500 family will do for the tdi. To top it all off, it was overfilled. I plan on calling VWOA on Monday; am I over-reacting? I feel that I need this whole thing documented incase they used the wrong oil, and I have a problem later down the road. Also, should I insist they tow the car instead of driving it back to the dealership?
For that reason I'm seriously considering changing my own oil once I get it back from the dealership after every service. Then all doubt is removed! It will be worth the $50 every 10,000 miles just to have peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Overreacting? No. The problem is that employee training is left to local dealers at German dealerships, hence a poor reputation for knowledgeable employees. In the US, all dealers are independently owned and operated so your experience may vary. I can tell you that the correct oil spec is in your owner's manual and might even be printed on the oil cap or valve cover. It's not acceptable to use any oil from the 500 family on your 2010 TDI. 507.00 oil only.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not only does the manual specify 507, but VW sent me, as a supplement to the manual, a card that specifies 4.5 Qts, and to not overfill. I had a conversation with the service manager about a month ago stating I would bring my car there if he addressed my concerns about dealer service. He said that all of his employees were professionals and not to worry about the level of service

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: All is Well

I went by the dealership (in my vanpool van) and reviewed my paper work with the service writer. There would have been no issue if he would have complied with my request to have the bottle with the left over oil left in the car. He apologized for that, and not addressing the bulk question earlier. He did remember seeing the fifth bottle with oil in it.

Apparently, the shop foreman was there during the oil change and addressed my overfill concern. I assume he knows what he is talking about as he is closely affiliated with the Toureg TDI team that's racing in the Baja 1000. He also said he recently retired from VW in Germany where he spent much time on the TDI program.

The reason I alotted two hours was because I wanted them to look at a couple of possible warranty issues. The first time I talked with the service manager, he said they would only document, but they actually fixed one of the problems and did the 02 sensor fllash.

Anywho, had I waited for my paperwork, this whole thing would've be a non-issue. Thank you for taking the time to offer your help/advice with this situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts