VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
EDIT: I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum... oops. Can you please move to Mk6 forum?

So I did something pretty dumb over the weekend and clipped a car a little closer than I should have...needless to say instead of the passenger side mirror on my 2010 Golf folding back, it broke off...::facepalm:: The mirror was still attached to the car via the electrical cable, but it seems the main metal support which mounts to the car broke in half.

So I called the dealer today and they gave me a rough estimate of total $600, $255 for the part. I know the mirror is pretty complicated piece of work with the light and everything, but this seems pretty steep.

I feel like I could probably use some serious metal bonding agent to stick the two pieces back together, but I'm a little worried where the piece fits back under the top seal of the passenger side door won't be tight enough to sufficiently keep water out of the door/hinge area.

Any suggestions for a cheaper repair? Right now I feel like I'm just looking at a $600 lesson in driving... =/ live and learn (to drive a car):ugh

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Your best bet is a to call salvage yard. They can put in search requests for other salvage yard. The used parts should be like new. You could try http://car-part.com/ but you'll get better luck calling them directly vs waiting for a response. They normally don't sell parts off assemblies, only whole assemblies like the entire side view mirrors.

If you figure out some way to repair the metal part and get it to sit flush, you could put a big glob of silicone sealant around the edges. It would act as glue and water seal. First clean the area though and be ready to wipe off any excess. It would also make removal more difficult since it'll effectively be a blob of flexible glue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chitty (and for the move too... :eek: ) but you really think I'll be able to find 2010 salvage parts so soon? And the glob of glue is the reason I'm probably just going to replace it. I plan on keeping the car for awhile but still want to keep it in top condition considering I've owned it less than a year now.

@5point: No note left. My friend I was driving with said there was no damage... and it was on the crowded streets around the University about 3am. It's pretty much assumed if you park on the streets around there that you're taking a risk. Not a good excuse really I guess... but it's all I got.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update for everybody's information.

I ordered the part Wednesday of last week, it came in Friday. The mirror housing (no cap or glass) was $181. Total labor was $168 (2 hours). So with taxes total was $381.

So long story short is... don't knock your mirror off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was an off-the-cuff quote, without looking at any pricing. The official quote when I dropped off the car was $431, which they quoted at 2.5 hours of labor. So either they overestimated to make me feel better or they really did it fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts