VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about purchasing a 2005.5 BRM TDI Jetta with 135k miles on it. Just wanted to ask a couple questions about it to influence my decision

I’m aware of the common issues with the BRM engine, and am no stranger to owning & maintaining diesel vehicles. All the work I would potentially do would be performed by me

1: How durable are the Colt Cams stage 2 camshafts? I know they say it will be the last cam you will ever buy, is this really true? Even after hundreds of thousands of miles? Or does it just prolong a problem that will resurface eventually? This is the biggest thing that concerns me with this engine

2: What is the current consensus on the DMF vs SMF? The car I’m looking at is a manual 5 speed. I’ve heard changing to a SMF can reduce the life of the trans itself, is this true? Or can I swap to a SMF and never think about it again?

3: What MPGs are people honestly getting with this engine? I currently have a manual ALH Jetta that gets 55mpg highway, and my mom has a BRM with the DSG. She only gets 45mpg max with hers, which is quite a difference. Is this because hers is a DSG?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
A BRM is high maintinence like a hot women. Fun, but be ready to spend some money on her and she will keep saving you money on fuel. Mine gets 45mpg. That’s actual, as in doing the math at the pump, not what your computer tells you. I have a hard time believing your car gets 55mpg. Do the math at the pump and see what it really gets. Computers always exaggerate.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about purchasing a 2005.5 BRM TDI Jetta with 135k miles on it. Just wanted to ask a couple questions about it to influence my decision

I’m aware of the common issues with the BRM engine, and am no stranger to owning & maintaining diesel vehicles. All the work I would potentially do would be performed by me

1: How durable are the Colt Cams stage 2 camshafts? I know they say it will be the last cam you will ever buy, is this really true? Even after hundreds of thousands of miles? Or does it just prolong a problem that will resurface eventually? This is the biggest thing that concerns me with this engine

2: What is the current consensus on the DMF vs SMF? The car I’m looking at is a manual 5 speed. I’ve heard changing to a SMF can reduce the life of the trans itself, is this true? Or can I swap to a SMF and never think about it again?

3: What MPGs are people honestly getting with this engine? I currently have a manual ALH Jetta that gets 55mpg highway, and my mom has a BRM with the DSG. She only gets 45mpg max with hers, which is quite a difference. Is this because hers is a DSG?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I own the same car you are looking at, 400,000 and going strong, all original cam, clutch, have had no problems with the engine at all, wouldn’t be afraid of it.. 43.1 mile average, leave clutch alone, last ya another 300,000 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts