VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Have an 06 BRM, 155k miles. I currently have egr delete, cooler delete, straight piped turbo back. Recently did timing belt, tensioner, water pump (10k miles ago). Currently doing a camshaft/turbo upgrade. While doing the cam I somehow goofed up and loosened all the head bolts (all the way loose) instead of rocker caps...
So.....
Now what? I'm not bold enough to just tighten them back up. I figured with me putting a 49mm turbo on its probably a blessing in disguise. Thoughts?..
I am not sure what head gasket size to run, what the specs are for torque, and I can't find any anywhere. I purchased all the tools for cam and timing belt via metalnerd and have used this site a number of times for help. Love all the info, ideas, and all the help everyone offers. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,339 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Hi everyone. Have an 06 BRM, 155k miles. I currently have egr delete, cooler delete, straight piped turbo back. Recently did timing belt, tensioner, water pump (10k miles ago). Currently doing a camshaft/turbo upgrade. While doing the cam I somehow goofed up and loosened all the head bolts (all the way loose) instead of rocker caps...
So.....
Now what? I'm not bold enough to just tighten them back up. I figured with me putting a 49mm turbo on its probably a blessing in disguise. Thoughts?..
I am not sure what head gasket size to run, what the specs are for torque, and I can't find any anywhere. I purchased all the tools for cam and timing belt via metalnerd and have used this site a number of times for help. Love all the info, ideas, and all the help everyone offers. Thanks again.
You aren't the first to make that mistake and won't be the last. I wouldn't try re-torquing them because they are torque to yield (single use) bolts and if the compression of the head gasket is broken you may have already lost the seal. The best thing to do would be to replace the head gasket and bolts. Or if you want to go deeper you could always rebuild the head now.

Your head gasket will have a visible portion (Tab) at the front of the block just right of center that will have a part number and a series of holes in it. Depending on how many holes it has will tell you the thickness. One hole is 1.45mm. Two holes is 1.53mm. And three holes is 1.61mm. If you are just replacing the head gasket and bolts you should replace with the same gasket. If you rebuild the head and have the sealing surface machined at all, you will need to measure from the top of the highest piston at TDC to the sealing surface on the block to see what thickness you will need.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

Sorry sir! I'm actually a paying premium member since 2017, had another account back in 2013 but lost that account info! Promise I'm here for the long haul! I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll continue to drive VW diesels.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You aren't the first to make that mistake and won't be the last. I wouldn't try re-torquing them because they are torque to yield (single use) bolts and if the compression of the head gasket is broken you may have already lost the seal. The best thing to do would be to replace the head gasket and bolts. Or if you want to go deeper you could always rebuild the head now.

Your head gasket will have a visible portion (Tab) at the front of the block just right of center that will have a part number and a series of holes in it. Depending on how many holes it has will tell you the thickness. One hole is 1.45mm. Two holes is 1.53mm. And three holes is 1.61mm. If you are just replacing the head gasket and bolts you should replace with the same gasket. If you rebuild the head and have the sealing surface machined at all, you will need to measure from the top of the highest piston at TDC to the sealing surface on the block to see what thickness you will need.
That was exactly the info I was looking for. Much appreciated. I'll follow up when I'm done!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the head off, thanks again for info on the gasket thickness, I don't plan on rebuilding the head. Each hole has a little oil residue at top of cylinder wall. I'm used to seeing that in diesels. 3 of the Pistons are very clean on top but #2 is very sorry and has some burnt oil charred on the top of it. Any suggestions on what to use to clean head? We used to use a specific scotch Brite substance to clean surfaces on Cummins, I've never done head work or in-frames on VW though. Any help appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I think you would be ok with green or red scotchbrite. I wouldn't use brown though as its way too rough. Just make sure everything is clean before it goes back together. Do you have the torque pattern and specs?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you would be ok with green or red scotchbrite. I wouldn't use brown though as its way too rough. Just make sure everything is clean before it goes back together. Do you have the torque pattern and specs?
I used green to clean off both surfaces then vacuumed out the cylinder. I think the gasket was going bad anyways so this may have been a blessing in disguise. The head wasn't even suctioned on, I was able to lift it right off and #2 had a decent amount of burnt oil on the top of it as well as a little coolant sitting on piston. I was able to wipe most of the oil off and cleaned the carbon rings on the top of cylinder walls.
I am in need of torque spec and rotation.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hi, what manual are you using to remove the head? I made the same mistake and removed the cyl head bolts when replacing my camshaft. I have the Bentley manual but there are no instructions on removing the cyl head, at least not for first timers like me. I've done 4 head jobs on V8 Rovers but never in a VW. Thanks for any tips or advice!

Stay healthy,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I used green to clean off both surfaces then vacuumed out the cylinder. I think the gasket was going bad anyways so this may have been a blessing in disguise. The head wasn't even suctioned on, I was able to lift it right off and #2 had a decent amount of burnt oil on the top of it as well as a little coolant sitting on piston. I was able to wipe most of the oil off and cleaned the carbon rings on the top of cylinder walls.
I am in need of torque spec and rotation.
Check your messages

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Yep, that's what I have, the Bentley Service Manual.... is there a Bentley Repair Manual? Maybe that's my problem, I need the Repair Manual.

Anyone know a good source for a digital version of the Repair Manual for a 2006 Jetta TDi BRM model?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
So.....
190f

1 - 16 of 16 Posts