VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 BRM approx 240k miles. Cam and lifters replaced approx 40k ago. HEX CAN V2 vcds shows no codes for engine other than glow plugs due to the harness I made and a code due to her delete. Other codes are non related.

Was driving on the highway and car loss power and sounded somewhat like when a cam eats through a lifter. Limped the last couple miles home. Then bought the vcds.

Fuel filter replaced. Performed a purge. Timing/torsion reading in group 4 was retarded but is now set to 1.0. After research realized my injectors were never set with the new cam. Set those. Injectors read #1-#4 at approx -.8, stuck at 2.99, 1.0, and the 4th is reading at -2.99 consistently now, but would read within spec occasionally and fluctuate during testing.Tested wiring from injector plugs to ECU. No issues but we all no these harnesses are garbage and there may be a short. I replaced the injector with a used one, new seals. No change. I do have a new injector harness since I can see the wiring at the inside round connector and know they tend to fail. Have not installed it.

Tested compression. Gauge leaks down when turning over so don't have exact readings as I know the needle will bump up each compression cycle when turning over, but 1,3,&4, all showed same/similar at about 180psi, but again the needle would fall. Will work on getting another gauge. #2 cylinder the needle didn't even move.

So, based on my experience, no compression means no bueno. Need advice on where to go from here for inspection or testing. Couple questions.

1) if the injector is stuck open/closed will it affect compression?
2) i only unplugged injector harness when doing compression check, did I need to disable the fuel pump too, and would it affect anything?
3)if the injector is not seated correctly/leaking would it cause low compression or no compression?

I've inspected the cam and lifters as best as I could with everything in place but did not see any issues or bits of metal from a lifter being chewed up. At this point from my experience with engines and vehicles (not a diesel mechanic but knowledgeable in gas engines and rebuilding), I would assume I need to remove the head for inspection. I've read I can remove the head with the intake, turbo, and exhaust manifold attached?

Thanks for reading through this. I like to be thorough for better diag help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well im gonna go ahead and say I have a damaged valve most likely. Ill tear into it and update as I go.

Any advice on removing the head with turbo, intake, etc. attached would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
You could bore scope it through the glow plug hole to try to see what's up. From your other posts, sounds like you have some major issues.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lmk what model scope fits. But piece of plug wasn't broken off.

At this point with no compression I'm thinking cylinder detonation and a valve is damaged. Going to pull the head and see.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

Do a compression test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts