VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the camshaft on a 06' Jetta TDI. I was told to do the head gasket at the same time, is this true? Appreciate any advise...

·
Registered
68 Posts
what you do need to replace is the one time use factory cam cap and injector rocker hold down bolts. there are kits available from franko6 and bleachedbora that are cheaper than the factory bolts, and are reuseable.

you def want a set of those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I should have been more specific I was told that when removing the camshaft the bolts go through the cylinder head and into the block so there is a chance of a head gasket leak just wondering if this is true I cant see a problem but just thought if someone had done the job before they could offer me some advice

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Sorry I should have been more specific I was told that when removing the camshaft the bolts go through the cylinder head and into the block so there is a chance of a head gasket leak just wondering if this is true I cant see a problem but just thought if someone had done the job before they could offer me some advice
No, take a look at the pictorial. You remove the rocker bolts not the head bolts. You should not remove the head bolts to change the camshaft. The factory service manual also does not recommend changing the head gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the post, went over it seems straight forward. A car wrecker I use told me that was the case with the head gasket I guess he was trying to sell a head gasket job. I will be doing the job tomorrow so hopefully everything goes well. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts