VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm here because I am experiencing, like several other folks who own cars with the same engine as mine (BRM), the dreaded cam wear issue.
My vehicle is a 2006 VW Jetta 1.9L TDI with only 32K mi and I've always performed service using only VW recommended products and schedule (wondering now if that wasn't the problem to begin with).
Last week the car began producing a bopping, rattling, clanking noise coming clearly from the engine. After much researching and opening the cover I determined that the cam wear has occurred.
Research has led me to many good sites, this being one of them and I hope to be able to acquire enough knowledge to be able to fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! FYI I rent the 2 camshaft special tools and timing belt tools upon request if you want to tackle this yourself.

I am very surprised that 1: you only have 32k miles!!! And 2: that you have bad wear this early.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hundred bucks says its a dual mass flywheel. Mine does it too. I hit the gas for a second and it stops. Cam wear is common, something to keep an eye on, but not at such a low mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts