VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 Jetta BRM, broke the timing belt on the freeway, 103K miles previous owner replaced belt around 85K miles car was towed home. I timed the engine and installed a new "Gates Belt" I rotated the engine at the crank and appeared to have compression on all 4 cylinders however it seemed to have less resistance in two of them. The car runs, I drove it to my garage about 50 feet, it smokes and locks power, I think this is a case of bent valves. My question is how can I make absolute sure before removing the head. Can I do a compression test or is it really dead. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Remove the camshaft: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm and look at the lifters. Also, a compression test doesn't always reveal damage since hte valves go up-down, if they get squished they can compress instead of bend.

Here's the million dollar question, when you removed the belt and turned over the engine, did all the timing marks match up? If yes, it's good. If not, you already know it's bad and you already said it seemed to have less resistance in two of them.

Take a look at the ALH head removal article, the BRM is similar, you can also refer to the PD camshaft removal article and you should be able to figure it out. Make sure you measure the head gasket thickness and count the punch holes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your prompt reply chittychittybangbang!! I think the answer to your million dollar question is around $2000... I will remove the cam hopefully by next weekend and will keep you posted!
thanx again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts