VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions regarding the break-in procedure for our new DSG. On the road I have been trying to follow the break-in procedure described on this site fairly well.

My question is around driving in town. I've noticed that the DSG tends to shift around 1800 RPM while driving around town. I'm a bit concerned that the engine seems to be pretty loaded up all the time.

Have you DSG owners shifted manually around town, or have you just let the DSG shift while it may.

Here in WI, we have a 25 mph speed limit in town, so it's tough to really let it stay up above 2k RPM.

Should I tell my wife to start shifting it manually above 2000, or do you think it should be fine as it is.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I used tiptronic to help with break in pretty much everywhere: in town, on the interstate, etc. Have some fun with it. You could also have her put it in sport mode. That'd give a larger range of RPM with little driver intervention.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also if you put the DSG in Sport mode, it runs through all the gears completely before shifting. This is also a good way to keep rpm's moving and running all the way through all the gears.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I used tiptronic to help with break in pretty much everywhere: in town, on the interstate, etc. Have some fun with it. You could also have her put it in sport mode. That'd give a larger range of RPM with little driver intervention.
This is what I have done as well.

I would add, avoid the cruise control on highway trips.

One of the general ideas is, avoid long durations in a single RPM range during break-in. Make the engine run up and down more often than not.

And during this process it will acquaint you with how the DSG reacts to your inputs. The DSG is not like a typical automatic transmission. Have a little fun exploring its capabilities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts