VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a weird issue here which I cannot figure out. I fitted new lifter rockers to my BRE head. All 16. Replaced the cam bearings at the same time. Cams rotate nice and freely but now as I tighten down the rocker shaft for the injectors the cam shaft gets really hard to rotate and if I torque it down it locks up completely... just the exhaust side... loosen it off again and the cam turns freely again. This with the injectors in place and yes I did set up the injectors with a dual guage with the injector rocker just more or lightly tightened into place. I'm thinking perhaps the bolts are too long... but they were brand new bolts from the agents. So I doubt that. Completely flummoxed. Anybody else encountered this? Any ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Is there any oil down in the holes causing a hydro lock?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any oil down in the holes causing a hydro lock?
I don't think so. Let me investigate that! Could be putting pressure on the bearing housing... I hate these stupid stretch bolts. Manual says the injector rocker shaft bolts are stretch bolts but I don't believe that. They look like normal bolts to me? Thanks

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Vw likes to use stretch bolts most of the bolts in the head are that type... doesn't mean you have to replace them if you haven't finished the job and the engine hasn't run yet. And even than... i have reused most of them without a problem... i don't see you having a problem here. It would be another story after a good old 100k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vw likes to use stretch bolts most of the bolts in the head are that type... doesn't mean you have to replace them if you haven't finished the job and the engine hasn't run yet. And even than... i have reused most of them without a problem... i don't see you having a problem here. It would be another story after a good old 100k miles.
Yup. Stupidly expensive as well. Replaced the head bolts obviously... and injector bolts which I needed to buy a new mini torque wrench to torque to 4nm then 90 degree and another 180 degree if I remember correctly. But those clearly look like stretch bolts but these other bolts look like normal bolts... the cam top frame bolts and injector rocker shaft bolts that the manual says need to be replaced. Nothing visually tells you they are anything but normal bolts. They don't have the thinner stretch part close to the head that stretch bolts have. And besides if you tightened the cam frame bolts to a torque capable of stretching an 8mm bolt into an aluminium head it'd strip out surely!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Yup. Stupidly expensive as well. Replaced the head bolts obviously... and injector bolts which I needed to buy a new mini torque wrench to torque to 4nm then 90 degree and another 180 degree if I remember correctly. But those clearly look like stretch bolts but these other bolts look like normal bolts... the cam top frame bolts and injector rocker shaft bolts that the manual says need to be replaced. Nothing visually tells you they are anything but normal bolts. They don't have the thinner stretch part close to the head that stretch bolts have. And besides if you tightened the cam frame bolts to a torque capable of stretching an 8mm bolt into an aluminium head it'd strip out surely!

It would

1 - 6 of 6 Posts