VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2006 Beetle 1.9TDI had a warning light come on. She had her emissions checked Friday and that's when the light came on. Looking in the owners manual showed the yellow/orange engine light as exhaust trouble. After having it analyzed today it came back with a P0128 code indicating a faulty CTS. I'm very confused now. What does one have to do with the other? Should I start cheap and replace the CTS first and see if that solves the problem? I don't have $200 for the dealer to put it on his analyzer and then stick me for parts too.

The car has had no issues at all prior to Friday and her emissions check was very GTG as expected.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

EOBD II Error Code: P0128

Fault Location:
Coolant thermostat - Coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature

Possible Cause:
Mechanical fault.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/

The Coolant temperature sensor is a resistor that varies with temperature, a thermistor.

You could check the resistance values against temperature if you would like to as in the pic below.

Copyright Autodata.

Beetle 1.9D TDI PD 2003-2006 Engine Code: AXR

I would say this item isn't pricey so it wouldn't hurt to stick a new one in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the sensor located and replaced. It was easy to take out the air cleaner box and go that way. Now the water temp light is blue for a bit until it warms up and goes out (wasn't on at all before sensor replace) but the CEL is still lit. Top radiator hose is hot, fans come on, bottom hose is warm. Think I'll replace the thermostat now that I have found that housing.
Thanks

Thank you for the info. I picked up two, a 2-pin and a 4-pin, because the dealer where she bought and services the car couldn't tell me which it needed. Said he needed the VIN code to tell which one it was. Seems to me they should have the VIN on record because they sold it to her and have serviced and done warranty work on the car in the past.

My VW repair manual only goes to 2005, is there somewhere I could find a pic of where/how to change this? I did get a new O-ring and plastic retainer for it.
Many thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts