7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake Pedal Monitoring Error HELP HELP

Hi,

Scanned car and getting this error:

Brake Pedal Monitoring
Sporadic - IMplausable signal
KWP1281

Ive checked on google and it says its either brake pedal switch or rear brake bulbs.

Ive replaced brake pedal switch and break bulbs with new ones.

When driving the light appears on dash but once brake pedal pressed it disappears for about 3-5mins.

ANyone know what else it could be?

Cheers
Ruairi

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

All I can show is

VAG Error Code: 00741

Fault Location:
Stop lamp switch/Brake pedal position (BPP) switch - signal correlation

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Both switch positions not synchronised.
Stop lamp switch.
Brake pedal position (BPP) switch.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BPP switch has been changed.

Wiring - where would i check?
Both switch positions not synchronised - how do i synchronise them?
Stop lamp switch where is this to check?

CHeers

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Sorry ruairi83 I'm just quoting what the error code means.
Stop lamp switch where is this to check?
I would say the stop lamp switch is on the pedal just do a connection check and switch continuity/operation check. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are two brake switches if your car has cruise, one of them is sending a conflicting signal...I had that issue on my car turns out the previous owner had put the switch on the clutch....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've put a rezistor instead of brake pedal position switch.When check engine light starts to blink I push the brake pedal and it stops.Repair manual says this switch should give up to 10ohms when pedal is depressed, so now it does, but I still get 00741.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have a VCDS? You can check that the ECU is seing it when you depress the switch. Also there should be a switch on the clutch pedal, did you check that one?

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Sorry if this is ignorant does this have to do with the flashing glow plug light? I have a brand new brake pedal switch sitting in my cup holder, because from some google research that is what I came up with as a solution since all the tail lights work. I hope mine is a simple fix tho this sounds like it can get complicated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happy new year everybody!!!
Well pressing the clutch does not help. My car doesn't even have a cruise control, and I'm stuck fixing stuff that I don't even need. Removed brake and clutch pedal switches, inserted 3 ohm rezistor into bpp connector, so now if check engine flashes I just press the brake and it stops (tried clutch switch on brake pedal set it to about 9 ohms and still check engine light started to flash until brake was pressed). Maybe the problem is in the brake light switch, becouse light only stops when I press brake pedal (as if it is not monitoring rezistance in the bpp until brake is pressed).

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Folks,
A TDI has two switches at the brake pedal. These have to be synchronized - both off when the pedal is not pressed and both on when the pedal is pressed. The ECU monitors the switches and provides an error when the switches have different status, because this is unplausible.
Synchronization might be model dependent, is typically a simple mechanical adjustment, and is described in the repair manuals. It makes no sense to replace a switch without synchronizing.
One reason for the (redundant) switch monitoring is safety. Press the brake pedal and simultaneously the gas pedal. Your car will not accelerate. The brake signal must be overriding.
The clutch pedal has a switch, too, by safety reasons, and to achieve a softer throttle up when the clutch engages.
Regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've synchronized them (measured the resistance and adjusted that they switch at exactly at the same moment) and still the same result - flashing check engine light.Before switches were synchronized the light wouldn't go out even when I pressed the brake, and now it does.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi,
May be you need to synchronize the switches more precisely, using VCDS. You can observe the switch status in measurement block 6. Perhaps this gives an indication whether the ECU "sees" the switches, too.
Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
My clutch pedal switch was hanging loose for ages before I realised but it made no noticable difference when I put it back in place.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts