VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm considering changing the brake oil with a pneumatic bleeder for a VW Jetta TDI.

How much brake oil do I need (assume I don't spill or waste any :D ) ?

As I have no history info about it I assume it wasn't done recently .
If I press the brake pedal I feel it start gripping the wheels in the second part of the brake trip.

Does this sound like air in the lines or ABS?

I don't have the VCDS to activate the ABS pump will I do any good or just waste the work?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
A proper brake fluid change (Dot-4) should really take 2 Liters... Your model should use the updated sequence: Clutch, LF, RF, LR, RR. Be sure not to exceed 14 PSI in the pressure bleeder, as that causes other problems (and of course, make sure not to run low on the fluid reservoir...)

Yuri

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
ATE SL.6 is premium stuff... probably a bit of overkill... Any Dot-4 will do the job... (including Canadian Tire / Prestone at less than half the price...)

Yuri

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding the prices ( Disclaimer I am not making any promotion to anybody :) )

on Amazon.com 1 liter of ATE SL.6 is about 15$ with free shipping in US total 30$ (w/o HST)

Prestone of 946ml at canadian tire is 12$ and for 2 liter I need to buy also 1 of 450ml another 7$ that would be 31$ (w/o HST )

With our strong Canadian Dollar I do a lot of shopping on US sites and send the goods to a warehouse in Niagara Falls /NY I pay there 1.8$ per package . (if I also refuel there even better for my trip)

So it looks OK for me.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somehow the page for DOT4 it's misleading because you see the picture of 946ml and the price is "regular from 6.99$"

Then it's a drop down button in the middle of page "style/size" .If you select 946ml it's 11.99$ , the other one 450ml is 6.99$ .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts