VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have just purchased a 2001 Jetta TDI without keys from a local auction and need to know what my option are for key replacement. I am an experienced 20 year auto tech and use the Launch 431x master scanner, But am new to the current key setups on VW. I have good cylinder and keys from a totaled 2001 jetta VR6 that I would like to use if possible. I have no info on how the VW/Audi immobilizer works! Thanks Bill

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Since you do this for a living you probably want to get the tools instead of going to the dealer. Look through the immobilizer FAQ continued. It will tell you how to get the SKC. The first tool you need is the Ross tech VCDS. It will be worth the expense and will work on all Audi-VW. The older interface will work on your 2001 but you may want to buy the newer one that works on CAN BUS cars if you plan to work on newer VW.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Ross Tech angle. You are right I would make good use of this as VW does Make up 50% of my repairs.
Can't wait to drive it bought this one for me! Thanks

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over rev! Hit redline and would not shut down

Thanks for the help on the key codes. The cable and software did fix and reprogram the keys.
Now I have a new problem motor started and ran very well. Took it for a ride only to have the engine hit redline could not shut it down, before it blew a piston and rod out of the bottom of the block. Must have be getting oil from turbo? Anyone ever seen this before on a TDI. Key off and out But would not shut down? Dont usually work on diesel VW Really sucks wanted this one for my personal car. Thanks for all you help, Bill

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick reply. You truely are all knowing in my book. Thanks for your help and your great knowledge. Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts