VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a 1998 New Beetle TDi, and I suspected I would find out soon enough if I got a good deal or not. I test drove the car on some city streets (not on freeway) and noticed that it seemed like there was just a general lack of power. I could hear the turbo spooling up and down every once in a while, so I figured it wasn't completely inoperative. It just seemed that the car lacked power no matter what throttle setting being used. In fact, the more throttle given, the more "clatter" from the engine, as if the timing was being varied, but the amount of fuel and air were not changing. No smoke from exhaust. It seemed reminiscent of my experiences with a couple of old 1980/81 Rabbits that I used to have.

Anyway, I bought it, drove it home, and on the way home, after stopping for a bite to eat, I went up a steep overpass, and during that or soon afterward, I got a check engine/fault light, and that has not gone out since, of course (I have an OBD II reader on it's way). The next morning, after having cooled down, I drove it to work, and it seemed to have a marked increase in ability to drive at normal freeway speeds ... 75 mph not difficult to achieve. Now, this afternoon in somewhat hotter temperatures, it is doggy again... it's almost as if the turbo is not pressurizing the manifold, or just not enough fuel, or something.

I am currently reading thru the 1000 questions to glean information.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There are many possibilities. Take a look at the low power checklist in the FAQ. They have related symptoms but if the power is restored by turning the car off, it's more limp mode.
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts