VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to find a boost leak, I've connected pressurized air to the accordian hose as shown in this site, and can hear the leak hissing in front of the engine (?) somewhere near the fuel pump. I'm wondering why and what components have bost pressure near the fuel pump. Plus, I havent been able to locate the leak yet - I've poked in there with a small piece of tissue on a piece of wire and groped around with my hand. Are there other ways to find pressure leaks? Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You could take a smoke puffer or a slow burning match/cigarette and wave it around the engine bay and see where air is leaking from. Some possible places: the elbow near the intake, the CCV hoses (in which case it's not a boost leak). Are you sure you're not just pressurizing the engine crankcase and it's leaking somewhere out there?

Also, post moved to mk3 technical section.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply CCBB, I was pressurizing the crankcase. Oops. With the hose to the CCV plugged, the leak is just about gone. I do have a leaky vent tube that goes to the crankcase, it will be replaced soon. Which brings up the next hopefully not too stupid question, would a leak in this hose cause a boost leak? The vag-com indicated lower boost pressure than spec, by quite a lot. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts