VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say that I've tried to search for this issue but I couldn't find a problem like mine, maybe is just me.
The car is 1999 Golf TDI, 5 speed manual.
I do have a boost pressure gauge and a boost valve, limiting the trubo's boost pressure to 18psi installed by the previous owner.

For the last few days the boost just cutting off. If I start accelerating the car the boost gauge showing increase up to around 5psi and after that just cut off and goes down to 0. One way of resolving the issue is to stop the car and restart the engine. I re-checked all the vacuum hoses and re-installed them now they are tight and with no leaks (I tried with soap water) however the problem still exist. In the morning when the engine is cold, no problem at all as soon as the engine get up to normal operating temp... here we go. On the long runs I don't have issues maybe because the engine is working above 2000RPM?? I don't know please help.
Thanks
Antony

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Go through this article:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/limpmodetdi.htm

Also scan the car for codes. Until then it's just total guesses. You are definitely getting limp mode. 18 psi is high but not unreasonable. If it was working before and not working now then I don't think it's because of the boost valve.

Soap water may not show anything since you're not getting boost at idle. You need to pressurize the lines or put them under vacuum to test them. So first get the error codes and then you'll have a better idea of where to check. Otherwise look through the checklist linked above and see what you have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're in limp mode. Some stuff like the engine coolant temp sensor don't really show bad codes, you have to use a vag com, not sure if that could cause limp mode, hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After scanning with VAG COM....nada, nothing, zip. everything came clear :dunno
The mechanic suggested to try and use:
BG 248 Maximum Diesel Performance. One can 11oz in the diesel tank, topped off with diesel and went for a trip....250 miles. In the first 3 to 5 miles the boost cut off twice so I have to stop and restart the engine .....after that....The car was flying, instant boost, much quicker acceleration...it is a miracle.
The BG248 cost $16.21 including taxes. This is what it does:
From the web site.

BG 248
Maximum Diesel Performance
BG 248 cleans the entire diesel fuel system including injectors and nozzles to restore maximum fuel atomization. Increases the cetane quality of diesel fuel. Contains BG Diesel Pump Lubricant to protect pump parts from damage or failure due to low-sulfur fuel. Special pour depressant additives isolate wax crystals as they are formed during cold weather and prevent their growing together; thus, fuel flows freely at sub-zero temperatures. BG 248 reduces exhaust smoke, provides smoother and quieter operation, improves fuel economy and restores maximum power and performance to diesel engines. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe. This diesel fuel additive complies with the Federal low-sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles.

When the mechanic told me to try it I was skeptical, he told me that it will clean my intake and turbo as well. He recommended that I use one can of BG248 every 4 or 5 tanks of diesel.
I don't know if this resolved my issue but oh boy, the way how the car run is unbelievable. The engine noise is gone, it sound so smooth now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts