VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW.....get on it.....

Will BMW be known for it's diesels? VW has been here for years and it seems like they are having some problems or just don't care about diesels.

NEW YORK — At the 2008 New York Auto Show, the BMW 118d was named World Green Car of the Year for its record in reducing CO2 emissions and fuel consumption. The 118d edged the Smart Fortwo cdi and the Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI.

An international jury of 47 motoring writers from 24 countries selected the 118d, which returns a combined 52 mpg and produces only 119g/km of CO2.

The 118d three- and five-door models use BMW's Efficient Dynamics technologies — including brake energy regeneration, auto start-stop and electric power steering — to help lower emissions and boost fuel economy.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2008/worldgreencaroftheyear.html

J

·
0 Posts
It doesn't matter, BMW is a different market. I went to Europe once and the BMWs, Audis, Benzes are mostly lower end models. Their market in the US is higher market and people associate diesel with lower end models like VW. When the bluetec polo comes out it should be even better than the bmw 118d.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
BMW is trying to move downmarket. I think that this is part of their overall strategy to do it. If they can make a low priced 1 series and put a diesel in it,
I'd consider it. All the VW diesels are FWD, RWD would be a nice change of pace.

J

·
0 Posts
I like FWD, but and AWD would be great. The problem with an AWD diesel is that you get a small car with a high price tag. People have a hard time buying a $30,000 economy car but if you make it a "rally evolution" car, it's a hot seller. You have to have some hook to convince people to pay a lot for a diesel with AWD.

D

·
0 Posts
I dont know, I don't care if it comes from BMW, Honda, VW or Audi, I would appreciate quality cars. Competition improves the lot. The thing that I fear is that if diesel gets popular, the price of diesel will go up and then there won't be any incentive to get a diesel. The additional premium on diesel will equal any medium term savings on fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts