VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They will feature a twin turbo 6 cyliner inline diesel. Only 23/33 mpg though? Not groundbreaking if the gasser gets 19/25, but that's still a 40% improvement!

article from http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124133

WOODCLIFF LAKE, New Jersey — BMW will use the Detroit auto show to introduce its clean-diesel technology, dubbed BluePerformance. The first BMW models to feature the system will be the X5 xDrive35d utility vehicle and the 335d sedan, both of which go on sale next fall in all 50 states.

BMW trails its German rivals Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen/Audi in trumpeting the latest clean-diesel technology, despite the fact that two-thirds of all BMWs sold in Europe are equipped with diesel engines.

The first of the new-generation BMW clean diesels is a twin-turbocharged, direct-injection 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder that makes 265 horsepower and 425 pound-feet of torque. The 335d accelerates from zero to 60 in less than 6.2 seconds and returns EPA city/highway fuel economy of 23/33 mpg. The comparable figures for the X5 xDrive35d are 7.2 seconds and 19/25 mpg.

At one time, all three were expected to join in a clean-diesel alliance, using the Bluetec system jointly developed by Mercedes and Bosch, but since have elected to pursue separate paths. VW is marketing its diesels under the long-running TDI label.

The Mercedes and BMW systems use a similar approach to reducing nitrogen oxide emissions, injecting a urea solution dubbed AdBlue into the catalytic converter.

What this means to you: The Germans can invent new nicknames until they're blue in the face, but we will always think of this new technology as "clean diesel." — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

D

·
0 Posts
At least the turbo is off to the side and the hood won't melt:rolleyes:

J/K, an inline has to have the turbo to one side....although someone might decide to be "unique"

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Your math is way off :p 32% better highway.

Still nice to see BMW diesels coming here. It's surprising to see that 2/3 is diesel in Europe! That means that most of their gasser engines come to the US.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Cool, I love these engine cutaway shots. The setup looks very similar to the twin turbo engine used in the 335i. I wouldn't be surprised if it was engineered to fit the same space.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
If 2/3 of BMWs in Europe are diesel, how come diesel engines aren't cheaper than gas engines?
The more you produce, the lower the price should be to a point.

J

·
0 Posts
Hmm...that's a good point. Diesels are always more expensive. The Mercedes 300 series bluetec is only about $1000 dollars more, so maybe it's just because they don't sell as well and they have additional inventory costs.

Also, the diesel is turbo, the MB 320 is a nonturbo, so it also requires more parts, more assembly, more inventory in parts, etc.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Hopefully this will open up the market.... I don't see a BMW or Mercedes Benz in my future anytime soon, lol. Can you imagine a VR6 TDI golf? Add 4motion and you've got a pretty cool car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts