VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hated the BlueTooth system, that VW sold me with my 2009 TDI for over a year, now.

Is there an update/upgrade that I can make so that BT interfaces better with my phone? Like Voice Command, for instance? Or response to Steering Wheel buttons?

Can info be displayed on the MFD (red)?

What about upgrading to a Nav system that includes BT?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Stephen Green
Los Angeles

·
Registered
482 Posts
There's some info in the FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htmYou would have to go aftermarket to get bluetooth through the nav system. That's what I would do. You can do the 9w3 bluetooth update to get voice command - just plug in the new module and it should work but it won't have the display in the instrument cluster because that function is for 2010s only. Since it won't work I don't see the point in sticking with OEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bluetooth

Hey I dont know which VW you have but I have an 09 Jetta, loyal edition and have been trying to do some research on the bluetooth. So far it sounds like most, aftermarkets wont integrate with MFSW or MFD. There are some exceptions though. Parrot makes a plug nad play unit that seems to work well but you dont get phone book or actual number listings on your display. There is a DIY video and it seems fairly straight forward.

It also apperas there is a Skoda brand that pretty much fully integrates with your vehicle, but it is a matter of finding the right model. Sounds like it depends on year and white or Red display. There may also be some programming issues, at least for the older versions, and I cant find them for sale in the US, but found someone in Poland which a number of folks seem to have gone through from various forums.

Lastly the Nav upgrade is pricey. Sounds like $1500-2000 plus BT. Heres a link for what looks like a Skoda install...

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/images/pdf/vwbluetoothretrofit.pdf

Good luck.

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I find it all so confusing.

I have the Jetta sedan TDI with a red MFD.

I think the factory installed Bluetooth is call Volk-L, or something similar. It was dealer installed as I bought the car. The steering wheel has eight buttons - only one (pictured with a phone) seems to affect the BT phone.

Am I right in thinking that the only solution for me is to get a third party NAV system that includes BT installed?

I would like to be able to voice dial, and perhaps import the phonebook from my phone and dial from that visually.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
To have the capabilities which you specified(with the red MFD and your bluetooth model Volk-L) you have to change to 9w3 bluetooth and have the RNS 510 GPS system. It can download your phone book and will let you dial from the touchscreen. Here is some info on the RNS http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/rns510_FAQ.htm in the article are some aftermarket units that will work and a demo of a clone. Some will even interface with the steering wheel controls (some don't). As others said, this is the most budget friendly and the clones look like OEM, and may include bluetooth, but you have to DIY install and they may require some minor setup.

The phonebook won't show up in red MFD , only white MFD with 9w3 bluetooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive seen voice dial on red highline display but it was through phone and not BT system. I called vw, just out of curiosity, to get price on RNS 510 and they quoted me $3300. If youre not all that set on nav I think you can get what you are looking for through a much less expensive aftermaket system. I found these guys in Poland that sell the skoda aftermarket. Way hesitant about going out of country for purchase but these guys were recommended by others on forum, there rating is very good and they have been on top of communications with me. Sent pictures of install and BT unit without Nav is $400. You can take a look for yourself

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180487145490&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

·
Registered
226 Posts
FYI the street price for the RNS is about $1600, including the map. I don't know what VW outlet you called but the quote of $3300 is a rip off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts