VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I thought I'd sum up the differences and procedures for the 9w2, 9s3, and 9w7 VW Bluetooth. Although the 9w2 doesn't have voice control you can use an iPhone to place outgoing calls.http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htm

There are some videos explaining some things and I will add part numbers later.

There is a guy on ebay selling 9w2 retrofit kits - you get some parts and wire adapters. This should get around any differences in the factory wiring harness but since the guy is in Poland it's obviously a grey market part. In other words, although he has good feedback it's buy at your own risk. If anybody buys one please let me know how it works.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I didn't want to link to it through the FAQ because I haven't had any reports of it working. I have to search some more to find more details on it. FWIW, others say that the linked part will work. The key is the wire adapter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll be picking my car up this week and have been looking for info about swapping the standard bluetooth (9w2) for the upgraded version (9w3). I'm still confused about whether or not it's as easy as swapping the bluetooth module but I'm not sure the link to the ebay sale is the right module. This site suggests the correct part is 1Z0 035 729 C not 1Z0 035 729 D that was listed on the ebay site. That said, the same guy sells the rev C module here. We're probably at least weeks away from seeing posts written by someone who's attempted this with a US spec car since we're now just getting them.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
What pisses me off is that I paid $600 to the dealer for the 9W2 installed:mad: and here I am with a province wide ban starting tomorrow morning and no voice activated or hands free activated outbound calling from my iPhone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I emailed the ebay guy in Poland to see what he'd say about our situation. He sent a zip file with installation instructions for his kit with lots and lots of pictures. It's a little confusing so I emailed him again and asked "Do you mean I just unplug the old module and plug in the new one? Or do I need to use you universal wiring as show in the instructions?" Here is his response: "Yes just unplug old and plug new"

That's it. No messing with his extra cables. Oh and I'm sure you'd need to activate it with a vag com.

So who's going to try? :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI, I got my golf and checked the module. It's part number 1K8 035 730 C. Interestingly, it announces the name of the caller on an incoming call as long as it's someone in my phone's directory. Didn't expect that. Other than that, it's plain old bluetooth low. I dial from the phone and the car takes over.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Golf should be the same as the 2010 wagons.

Major updates to the bluetooth FAQ including some new procedures: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/VWbluetoothFAQ.htm

Part numbers and some confirmation are starting to come in but it's still not 100% perfect. Here is what is known:

2009 Jetta had the red multifuction display (MFD). These are a separate beast.

2010 Jetta sedan TDI with the white MFD and bluetooth can have outgoing call capability activated with a coding change. This lets you dial out using the steering wheel and phone book menu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 TDI with the white MFD and 9w2 low bluetooth can have outgoing call capability activated with a coding change. This lets you dial out using the steering wheel and phone book menu.
Can anybody confirm that they have gotten this to work on the 2010 JSW TDI?

I'm thinking of getting a retrofit kit, but am intrigued by reports that some 9w2 bluetooth can be re-coded to support MFD dialing.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can anybody confirm that they have gotten this to work on the 2010 JSW TDI?

I'm thinking of getting a retrofit kit, but am intrigued by reports that some 9w2 bluetooth can be re-coded to support MFD dialing.
Sorry, that was confusion on my part. The FAQ has since been changed and previous post has been edited to reflect the changes. There are enough reports now that I believe the 9w2 on the Jetta wagon and Golf does not support MFD dialing. I will personally try it on someone's car sometime this week but it appears that it cannot support MFD dialing with the JSW or Golf, only the 2010 Jetta sedan. Also excludes the 2009 Jetta sedan and wagon because the part numbers are different.

I will post more info later this week with confirmation and screen shots so if you are waiting to buy the retrofit kit off ebay, wait a few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks.

I spoke with my dealer today. They claimed that if I bought the retrofit kit off of eBay, even if I had them install it, it would void the warranty on my entire MFD/computer/stereo system -- basically, any part interfacing with it. They're willing to make a deal, but I can't get them to do the install + sell me the unit for under $600. Does that seem high?

Have other dealers made similar claims? Is everybody just making the mod knowing of the warranty implications? Is my dealer bs-ing me?

·
Registered
482 Posts
They are right but how likely is it that the MFD/stereo system or computer will fail? $600 is expensive but fair if they will cover anything that VW of America doesn't warranty and include labor/tax. Remember, the waranty is from VW, the dealer just installs it. Get it in writing.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scratch that, I was confused and it was actually a 2009 JSW. I'm pretty confident after reading a few other reports that the MFD phone menu can only be enabled in the 2010 Jetta sedan.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So are current 2010 GOLF TDI's receiving the 9w3 unit from the factory?

·
Registered
189 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts