VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the dealer installed blue tooth adapter for the TDI sportwagen (premium non-GPS) stereo that does not have steering wheel control buttons?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I believe that the dealer installed one is not an official VW part. Not 100% sure but they didn't have one at rollout. IMO, since it doesn't work with the steering wheel control buttons, just buy an aftermarket one for far cheaper. I'd only pay the dealer premium if it had OEM level integration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dealer reports that the adapter allows full integration with the factory stereo and lets you answer the phone with one of the stereo buttons. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
They must be talking about the Volk-L. There were older ones that didn't but the Volk-L has been out for a while, maybe there was a compatibility issue with the new car? It should with the steering wheel. Not sure why they told you it doesn't work with the buttons....or at least I think it should!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I stand corrected...the older parrot was what I was thinking about, and neither is a factory installed option, both are dealer options. Looks like the Volk-L works well and should work with the buttons but there is no integration with the MFD display on the dashboard and no integration with the OEM NAV which you don't have, so go for it! If you're handy with electronics then you may be able to self install, here is their site:http://www.govolkl.com/what_is.htm Although it says it's only available through the dealer, you should be able to find it on ebay

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am impartial to factory integration. It normally costs a little more since you're buying it from the dealer and it's more work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even the dealer service department admitted that the Volk-E was silly expensive. I like "factory" too but not at those prices or close.

I had my local installer install Blue Connect ( 2nd car in a row with this ) and I am very happy. Installed right into the headliner above driver ( which is easier in carls like mine without the sunroof ). One button to activate to call or answer, everything that follows is voice command which works well ( very good speech recognition ).

Actually, it's two buttons, one on the steering wheel to mute the radio, second to acivate Blue Connect to answer or initiate call. Still very easy and simple to use.

I have also had good luck with Parrot 3100 series ( now an older model ) on an earlier vehicle. Some of the newer Parrot stuff has really nice technical features if those are of interest, including the display of what number is calling you if not "blocked". Disadvantage IMHO is that such units need to mount hanging on your dash someplace which I don't prefer. It's all what you like and choose.

S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts