VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a horrible idea, they should just make the radio not work or some other thing. If the car doesn't start because you forgot the urea, this will not make the owner happy.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/10/20/mercedes-new-bluetec-diesels-will-not-start-if-urea-runs-out/

Those of you planning to buy the new Bluetec diesel SUVs from Mercedes Benz will want to make sure you don't miss your regular service intervals or ignore warning lights. If you do, you might find yourself stranded at the mall. In order to meet new NOx emissions standards these vehicles and others from Volkswagen/Audi (not including the Jetta) and BMW use a urea injection system to eliminate almost all the NOx. The urea is stored in liquid form a tank on board the vehicle and slowly injected into the exhaust stream where it forms ammonia that reacts with the NOx and converts it to water and nitrogen. The tank is sized so that the vehicle should be able to go close to 15,000 miles without replenishment. The 7-gallon tank will be topped up at the regular 10,000 mile service interval. However, as with fuel, urea consumption is in part a function of driving conditions. If a service is missed or extra urea is consumed, a warning light and counter will appear in the gauge cluster. When the urea level gets critically low, the counter will give you 20 re-starts, after that the car will not start until at least two gallons of urea are added to the tank. Mercedes will be selling spill proof bottles of urea at dealerships that drivers can use to top up their tank, however this will automatically be part of the regular service along with oil and filter changes. Mercedes roadside assistance will also be able to top up the urea tank for stranded motorists. The urea solution, or AdBlue as it's called, will initially cost about the same as diesel fuel or about $4 a gallon, so filling at the 10,000 mile interval should cost less than $30

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Imagine the angry owners after the cars die as designed. Most people don't maintain their cars or read the owner's manual. They'll just ignore the warning light until the car dies. You've all had a friend who kept driving after the coolant idiot light went on, until the car engine screeched to a smokey halt. Bad publicity, stupid design.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
If I paid $60,000 for a car and had it die on me I would be pissed. Yes it's their fault but it shouldn't prevent the car from dying. 20 starts? What if you park on a hill and the 20 starts is triggered early? Or if you are picking up the kids, wait at the school for 1 minute, go to the mall, then run an errand. That's 10 starts right there.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I heard about this. This is ridiculous but how else can they enforce emissions? 2nd on the radio idea. It's annoying but the car can still move. They should have the nav display a rude red blinking nanny instead of shutting off teh car.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Like I said, they should figure out another way. Having the car die is unacceptable. You might say that without gas or diesel, the car will also die, but that's not an emissinos item that forces the car to die. There is no reason why the car would otherwise die without urea. Without gas, the engine wouldn't work so it's not the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts