VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a relay with a inline fuse link to the right of the turbo inlet pipe above
and to the left of the coolant expansion tank on the fire wall that blows the fuse link under the plastic lid. Everything seems to work okay can't find what it is used for. Does anyone know what this relay is for? 1997 vw passat 1.9l diesel.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That is the coolant glow plug fuse. It is independant of the cylinder glow plugs. Look to the cylinder head coolant flange. There are coolant glow plugs around that area.

I forget the exact conditions for which they are supposed to be used but if it's broke it's not working. Clean all the contacts since it'll probably be corroded and replace the fuse. It should result in faster heat but the difference is so small that it's negligible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for pointing me in the right direction. i just bought the car so i have a lot to go over. i think i will let the coolant glow plugs wait for now. i need to change the timing belt since i don't know when it was replaced last.
thanks again. i'm sure i will have more questions in the near future.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
See the FAQ at the top of the forum and explore the FAQ called 1000q. There is a checklist for new owners, I will add this item to the checklist since it is so common. It should cover most of any issues you have with your car and any catch up maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts