VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

All signs may be pointing to ever steeper gas prices by the end of the year, but according to Bloomberg, that may not be enough to stop Volkswagen from unleashing a new wave of SUVs (or more than likely, CUVs) on the American market. VW head honcho Jonathan Browning has been quoted as saying that the company wants to expand its portfolio of compact SUVs in short order, and that eventually, there may be room for growth in the larger SUV market as well. Of all the vehicles sold in the U.S. last year, SUVs and crossovers made up 29 percent of the mix.

As of right now, Volkswagen only offers two utility vehicles in the States - the compact Tiguan crossover, which, according to Bloomberg, sold 20,946 units last year and the larger Touareg SUV. Volkswagen only managed to move 4,713 Touareg models in the U.S. in 2010, but the new model (shown above) is expected to help the line's fortunes. The company's planned expansion of its SUV offerings is part of a larger offensive designed to net the company U.S. sales of one million vehicles by 2018. Doing so would mean tripling the company's current sales, so the automaker is invested in exploring new ways to bring buyers to the showroom.

Gallery: First Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Touareg

[Source: Bloomberg]Bloomberg: VW eying expanded SUV lineup for U.S. originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 07 Jan 2011http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/bloomberg-vw-eying-expanded-suv-lineup-for-u-s/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Does anyone remember only a few years ago seeing lines at their local Costco gas station so long there were police directing traffic? I do. With fuel prices headed back up, this does seem like poor timing.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
They need to bring in more diesels. That would make the gallon go a lot further; and it would not be necessary to stand in those long lines at Costco, since they don't sell diesel.

I love my Q7 3.0 TDI. It's one of the finest cars I've ever had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, if diesel were available at ~70% of US filling stations, they could just about drop the less efficient gas engines and go all diesel SUV offering.

Hi, long time VW owner and after one dealer failed to get me 1 of 3 Exec TDI Tregs in the midwest, I've got a TDI Lux due in next week with another dealer. This will be my first diesel and after test driving it a couple times now...I'm a little giddy with anticipation.

I assume by the time I'm ready to trade this one in...the hybrid will hopefully be diesel as well.

Looking forward to keeping up with all the TDI/Touareg sites as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts