VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all my first post , I just bought a 2010 Jetta TDI my first diesel . I was reading about changing the fuel filter and it didn't really go into how to bleed the air or water out of it .There is a bleed screw on my filter so I figure I will have to do it at some point .My guess is I will need some kind of fitting with hose and valve to screw into the bleed port .??

·
Registered
226 Posts
It has a screw in the middle? I thought they stopped making those. You are supposed to use a vacuum but nobody ever finds water.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take a mity-vac and attach it to the bleeder. Apply vacuum. The manual says drain every 10k, replace every 20k. Some don't even have drains. I would stick to the 20k filter replacement but the 10k drain doesn't seem to do anything. As for the actual procedure, the car has free maintenance, let the dealer drain it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see water is not a problem ,but how about air after filter change will it self bleed back to the tank ?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Sort of a follow up, the fuel filter article has been revised. Dweisel donated some pics showing the differences between 2/3 filter housings. The 3rd filter housing is pretty much the same

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/fuel-filter-VW-Jetta-TDI-2005-2006.htm

Dweisel, I raised the contrast of some of the pics and took some of the red out.

The pics have also been added to the 2009-2010 fuel filter article because they also use 2 filter types. And of course, the Audi A3 TDI fuel filter is also another type because it would make too much sense to use the same filter on the same engine that's put into the same engine bay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts