VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,

I’ve recently acquired a 2005 A6 with a 2.0 tdi BLB showing low oil pressure on the dash and a ticking noise coming from the engine whilst running. Apparently the warning came up and it ground to a halt in the space of about a mile. I’ve stripped the chain drive and balance shaft assembly off and sure enough the oil pump drive has pretty much rounded off, I’m just curious as to people’s experiences of damage done to the engine when the drive fails. I’m yet to remove any of the bearing caps but there are no signs of heat on any off them and from what I can see of the pistons and bores from undearneath they look fine. Engine fired up on the button even with the low oil pressure warning just a fairly loud ticking sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Bulb Check: Low Oil Pressure Warning Light
When the ignition key is rotated through the Off, Run, Start positions, the oil pressure warning light will illuminate. The light is usually red and often contains the outline of an oil can. As the engine warms up, the oil pressure light should go out immediately or within 1 to 2 seconds if the oil pressure is above the minimum specification. If the oil pressure is not within specifications, or there is a problem with the oil pressure warning light self test, the light will stay on, indicating there is a problem in the oil pressure warning system.

It is always advisable to check your owner's manual and familiarize yourself with your vehicle's warning lights. Some vehicles use this light and some use the low oil level warning light—some even use both!

What to Do: Low Oil Pressure Warning Light
Whenever the oil pressure warning light comes on—even intermittently—pull the vehicle over to a safe place and shut off the engine ASAP. An engine with low oil pressure can be ruined in a matter of seconds. If the vehicle has truly lost oil pressure, do not attempt to restart the engine. You can check the engine oil level, but it's best to have the vehicle towed to a qualified repair shop. Be sure the shop knows the oil pressure light came on so the technician can take the necessary precautions when diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you reply that’s clearly copied and pasted from a Google search. As you have obviously not had any experience in what I was asking

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
May be the ticking sound comes from empty hydraulic lifters. Crankshaft bearing defects or conrod bearing defects become rather audible under load.
It is hard to advise, but with the short distance driven I would rebuild the oil pump.

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

You have obviously google it this that's why you joined us.

Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 07/2004-11/2005, Model: Audi A6/S6/Avant Quattro, Engine Code: BLB, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD)

Search TDI Wiki?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pump and balance shaft drive were replaced. Engine still ran and drove fine apart from said ticking noise. Listed on eBay, sold to a friendly Romanian chap for 8 times what the car owed me. Will never own another 2ltr Pd again #junk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts