VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know there is a bio-d section in this forum, but I wanted to get your thoughts specifically for a new Touareg. I am lucky enough to have a local company that provides Biodiesel in a standard range from B-5 to B-30, with an option to go to higher mix ratios by request.

My questions are these:

Is B-5 OK with my new engine (less than 2,500 mi.)? I do not plan to go with higher mixes, immediately. I put in my first tank of B-5, yesterday, and I know VW is OK with B-5, but it seems that nothing higher is acceptable.

When is it OK (mechanically) to start pushing up the mix ratio? I know a lower mix is preferred in colder weather.

And I just wanted to say what a fantastic SUV this is. I previously had a 2005 Subaru Outback (which I loved), and the T-reg gets significantly higher FM. I averaged almost 34 MPG on a round-trip to Allentown yesterday. And I did it in style. :)

Thanks in advance for all your input.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The concern with the higher blends of biodiesel are oil dilution oil washing due to the post combustion injection of fuel related to the DPF system. There is way too much to reply in a short thread so here is the FAQ article on the system: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htm The second page has some info on biodiesel.

B5 is fine and I would actually recommend it because it increases the lubricity of the fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chitty -

Thanks for the the link! Very informative. I figured things would not be so simple. I have yet to take the T-reg in for it's first check-up (soon), but I'll see what the maintenance agreement covers, in terms of oil changes & their frequency.

Hard to believe my oil can become a 50/50 mix with fuel after only 10,000 miles, using B5 regularly. Incredible.

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My wife jokingly assured me that, within a few years, one of you guys would figure out a way to run B100 safely, all the time (weather permitting!).

Cheers!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Amazing, great pics too chitty. I wouldn't be surprised if the type and feed source of the bio makes a difference too. With that low mileage I wouldn't use bio just yet since the engine is still breaking in and it sounds like the oil is getting washed off the cylinders! Try waiting until oil analysis shows that the engine is mostly broken in, start raising biodiesel percentage in your fuel, and get more oil analysis done. Blackstone labs does it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I had a few more miles than the OP on mine before I found some Shell stations that sell B5, but I see no reason to wait until you have higher milage before using a bio blend. It's mandated in some states so a buyer would be using bio from day one.

I would not use anything higher than B5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts