VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Thinking about getting bigger tires to effectively make a wider ratio 5 speed. I read the link on tire changes for the rpm and mph "fix"(thanks for that), but i didn't read anything about a max increase for tire size. Current tires are stock and at about 24" diameter and I'm thinking 27" would put me in the sweet spot for rpm and put the speedo 'bout right on. The car definitely has the torque for the larger tires and it looks like the 27s would fit easily. Has anyone done a 215/70 or a 205/75.
As always, much appreciated...Jeff

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I haven't checked myself but as a rule of thumb 1" larger tire diameter than stock is always OK. 2" larger will fill the wheel well and may start to get into clearance with suspension and fender. 3"+ and I would definitely measure it first. Remember that the tire and fender will get closer when the suspension travels. You can feel the difference in handling with taller sidewalls and 205/75 vs. 205/60 is about 30 cm difference which is a lot.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
3 cm or 30mm chitty :)

according to tirerack.com you can go with 235 35 19 so this is 235 x 35/100= 8.2 cm for sidewall height. 19" in cm = 19 x 2.54 = 48.26 cm so the total height of the wheel with tire would be 48.2 cm + 2 x 8.2 cm = 64.6cm

now for the stock 195 65 15 195 x 65/100 = 12.6cm 15" x 2.54=38.1cm total wheel height = 25.2+38.1=63.3cm so you can go 1.3cm bigger.

205 75 15 will not fit without interfering with the struts. I remember I had to cut little of the spring holder on the struts on my mk2 to fit 185 65 r15

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys....my buddy owns a tire shop....first we went with 215/75/15s, and they do not fit with stock suspension. There would probably be a way to do it, but it would take re-engineering the front suspension and quite a bit of fab work. Next we went with 205/70/15s and they do work. We spent about an hour driving in the parking lot and out on the freeway, hitting all the potholes we could, trying to get the inner fenders to rub and we could not get contact. We took each front onto a curb and then buried the steering wheel each direction with no rubbing or chaffing. The speedometer seems about dead on now and at about 150 rpm lower. Car sits about exactly an inch higher now too. I'll check to see if any notable difference in mpg and post findings.
As always...thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I would like to do the same since I hate the low clearance of my jetta especially in snow. Please try the same tests with 4 people in the car and let me know what happens. You are about 3.5 cm higher than stock which is almost 1.5 inches.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back with a full load test results. Myself, 3 other firefighters (little over 800lbs) and 50lbs of fire gear in the back storage area, went for a 15 mile jaunt. Hit a few potholes and took some turns pretty quickly but still no rubbing. Not a very scientific test, I know, but it is a real world test. There is definitely a handling trade off for the sidewall increase, but I drive like a grandma anyway so no real issue for me (I bought a TDI not a GTI). I couldn't be happier with the results but the appearance might not be for everyone. There just looks like a whole lotta rubber on that little car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is so awesome, because I found a set of almost new Michelin Defenders in this size and so happy I can put them on. Thanks for the photos! FYI I had to go through pages and pages of photos and only found the first pic as a thumbnail which you could barely see because you have to be a member to view photos, not good.

Btw, anyone ever try 205/75/15 on the rear only?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't mix and match tire sizes, it can do funny things with the ABS and handling of the car. Some cars have staggered sizes but i wouldn't suggest it for this one. Also, 205/75 is a really, really tall sidewall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't mix and match tire sizes, it can do funny things with the ABS and handling of the car. Some cars have staggered sizes but i wouldn't suggest it for this one. Also, 205/75 is a really, really tall sidewall.
The former makes sense, but the latter was confirmed to fit in a post already.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes but even if it fits, 205/75 is like clown tire size or for trucks. 205/55 is a common tire size which results in 11 cm of tire sidewall. 205/75 is 15 cm of tire sidewall which is a lot for a car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
205/70 front and 205/75 rear, no ABS problems and eats pot holes in a single bound and only $200 installed almost new.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Are those winter tires? It's not advised to drive around on winter tires except when it's below 40 degrees out as the soft compounds will wear fast and winter tires don't have the braking and cornering performance of all seasons or summer tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are those winter tires? It's not advised to drive around on winter tires except when it's below 40 degrees out as the soft compounds will wear fast and winter tires don't have the braking and cornering performance of all seasons or summer tires.
well anyone wanna trade? They have 11/32 tread. No snow here in TN. Handle fine withe oversize.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
If you put the 2" Metalnerd lift on that, it would look even more badass. It's got a nice aggressive stance.
I've never gone with anything other than stock tire sizes - what's the advantage of the different front/rear sizes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you put the 2" Metalnerd lift on that, it would look even more badass. It's got a nice aggressive stance.
I've never gone with anything other than stock tire sizes - what's the advantage of the different front/rear sizes?
Simply couldn't find 4 205/70s used in good condition and took advantage of the extra fender gap in the rear. Next time around I'm getting new Continental ControlContact EcoPlus from tires.com 215/65/15.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts