VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno just had my BS changed and timing belt replaced. Now I seeing an engine that start easier. But it seem to stumble a little more (lap) then before the belt was changed. It does it while going and before it only seemed to do it from a start. The bolts on the cam are centered in the slot, so I'm thinking the timing is a little off. I read that it can be between -2.5 to 2.5 with 0 optimum. What is the best setting I should be shooting for? What does -2.5 mean (BTC or ATC)? What happens as you go positive or negative from 0? Mileage seem to be a little less but so small that I'm not positive on that one.:dunno

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You can adjust cam timing by rotating it within the range of the ovaled bolt holes.

You need to warm up the engine and use a VCDS to check this value. A negative number is retarded cam timing and a positive number is advanced timing. Too far in either direction is bad but generally speaking, positive is slightly better. I'm told that the BHW engines like to be set at about 0 but your case may vary.

You cannot adjust fuel timing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any idea why the manual doesn't give this step? Is it really necessary or will the pin hold it at 0?

Yes it is. The pin holds the cam and hub at TDC, the gear can be adjusted. Therefore the gear will end up in a different place. A small adjustment (barely noticeable) will change the timing 1-3 degrees. A small change in timing can change the way these engines sound and perform. Factory states timing should be set between -2.5 and +2.5. I usually shoot for 0-+1 for my cam timing.

O.C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Newbie+Timing belt = problems

I have the same problem. Around 2000 rpm it starts doging out. I will try and advance the cam by loosing the Bolts... No one has stated that this fixed the problem or not. I will post if I get it lined out.
I starting to get worried.:eek

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I have the same problem. Around 2000 rpm it starts doging out. I will try and advance the cam by loosing the Bolts... No one has stated that this fixed the problem or not. I will post if I get it lined out.
I starting to get worried.:eek
If your timing is about correct it won't cause low power. Try checking other causes of low power first. If you put timing way off or overtorque the bolts (do you own a torque wrench), then you could cause a bigger problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
timing belt

Yes, torque as per procedure. On my VAG measuring block 4. 1.6 BTDC-Before Top Dead Center. I have moved the cam a little both ways. One read. 1.9 BTDC @ 861 rpm, then around RPM it goes higher 2.5 BTDC. I moved it the other way 1.6 btdc at idle 1300rpms goes down to 0. But starts cutting out.

what should the BTBC be at Idle 841 rpms.
Hope you can make sence of this.

I think I did these two steps backward.

didn't know to set belt tension first *before* tightening the 3 cam sprocket bolts, or didn't pull the adjustment forward before removing tools so that as the engine did its first few rotations after the belt change and the "walk" worked out of the belt

Should I tear it down and start over??

·
Registered
5 Posts
timing belt

Problem Solve... If it wasn't for Bad luck I would not have any luck at all. After numerous cam adjustment. No help. I made my my to tear it back down and re-re- check everything from scratch. Then a saw the inter cooler hose popped off. Put it back together.
Said to my self...Self... I wounder if that would make a difference. Lets try it. Pow it ran great.

I guess @ 1500prm. and No boost will make it run like shee yaht.

Thanks everybody...:bowdown

1 - 9 of 9 Posts