VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be having my Timing Belt (05 VW Passat TDI) done pretty soon and also have the oil pump chain checked out. I already have a Timing Belt kit, from idparts and would like to know the parts for the oil pump chain and tensioner, that I should have replaced, while the mechanic has things apart? I don't have the money to replace the whole balance shaft (gear to gear setup), so I am just wanting to replace the chain and necessary parts. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
IMHO it's a bad idea primarily because you're doing 90% of the labor without getting the benefit. Before the chain and tensioner break there were problems with the oil pump drive sprocket breaking. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/oil-pump-failure-passat-tdi.htm Read this FAQ all the way through.

In any case, here is what you requested:
tensioner: 03g 115 124 (03g115124)
chain: no part number is given. It says to buy another module. I'm not kidding, I looked up the part number as I was typing this reply and it's been removed. Sorry. To show I'm not being obnoxious, here is a screenshot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to bite the bullet and order the deluxe module kit from Boraparts. Looks like a good price and comes with the timing belt and other necessary items. Hate the looks of the 1500+ price but, it is better than the alternative. My TDI will have 160000 soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts