VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, many hours (days?) ago, there was a great how-to article on this site that described how to do a balance shaft delete on a BHW. Within that how-to was a procedure for installing the oil pan that (I think) was slightly different from the Bentley directions. It involved partially tightening the bolts to a certain point, waiting X minutes, and then tightening the bolts again the rest of the way. I can't for the life of me remember what that procedure was, but I do know it worked better than the straightforward procedure in the Bentley manual, my oil pan never so much as seeped these last few years when I used that procedure, and now it seeps ever so slightly after using the Bentley procedure.

Since those articles are now MISSING (grumble grumble), does anyone remember what that procedure was?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Yes, tighten it up by hand to let the sealant spread and then let it set for a couple hours. Then go back and use the Bentley method to torque it.

You want to leave about 1/16th all around for sealant to set in creating a better gasket. It doesn't have to be exact, a loose screw driver tighten works well

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts