VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased items for 40k miles service including DSG oil filter brand name Vaico (made in China) that incluses O-ring for filter cover. Installed O-ring in July 2013. 8 months and 5500 miles later I discovered DSG oil leak. Apparently due to the substandard quality rubber the O-ring lost the elasticity and deformed permanently, therefore it was not creating firm pressure in the gap where it sits and lost the sealing ability. Oil leaked and the worst thing is that it never made a puddle under the car on a driveway bacause it was all catched by the engine cover on the bottom where it accumulated and was blown away by air while driving, so the leak was not obvious. I had to do the factory method to add oil and when all done I found that a good one cup of oil was lost due to a leak. Took a new OEM O-ring that I purchased, failed O-ring and also found the original O-ring installed in factory that I replaced at 40000miles and measured thickness of the rubber from two sides 90 degrees from each other.
Results are as follows
Brand new, neve used Oring - 3.6 mm thick from both sides
Old factory Oring - 3.5mm and 3.4mm
Failed Oring - 3.5mm and 3mm!!! i.e. 0.5mm less!!
Check out the photos that compare old factory installed one vs. failed one. You can see a difference in the thinckness!
Also, just by fingers the failed one feels stiffer.
Please spread the word...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil leaked and the worst thing is that it never made a puddle under the car on a driveway bacause it was all catched by the engine cover on the bottom where it accumulated and was blown away by air while driving, so the leak was not obvious.
My DSG is leaking as well. I have had numerous issues with leaks being caught in the engine cover (antifreeze, engine oil, and now DSG fluid), so I removed the cover and drilled several 3/8 inch holes in the cover so any leaks would drip and become apparent immediately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts