VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Seems I have a problem with my #3 cylinder fuel injector on my PD BEW engine Jetta TDI. Its been a great car with 235,000 miles and nothing but routine maintenance, but now has a problem in cylinder #3. Computer says injector problem and when I pull the glow plug and crank the engine theres no fuel spray out the glow plug port. Leads me to believe the injector may be plugged so I would like to confirm by switching injectors between #2 and #3 to see if the problem migrates before I spend $500 or 600 on a new injector. Also, can the nozzle alone be replaced or does the entire injector need to be replaced? I would welcome any advice or pointers, Thanks,

TM

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The nozzle can be replaced but I don't know how to do it as VW doesn't give any tips nor have I seen the procedure from Bosch. If anyone wants to share this info I would gladly host it. I know kermatdi.com does it as they also sell upgraded power injectors.

First confirm that it's not a wiring problem. Check the wiring back to the round injector connector and if you already have the valve cover open, it can't hurt to check continuity at the harness there, but you already have a good idea about switching the injectors. FYI, the cam rocker bolts and injector bracket are single use only so beware. There are more tips on removing the injectors in the FAQ section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently fixed my 04 Jetta pd bew that had a similar issue. I recommend pulling the valve cover and cleaning the contacts between the injector and the wiring harness. I carefully used a small screwdriver on the female side of the connections to help lock the connection. I also stuffed some toweling between the contact and the head to keep the cleaner out of the oil...I didn't want to pull the injectors to clean the contacts and the harness is pain to remove as well. You have to remove the egr to get clearance to get a couple of the valve cover bolts out but it's pretty easy (3) 6 mm hex head bolts if memory severs me. There are a ton of use full pics on this forum that helped me along. Hope this fixes the issue as it did mine. I was looking into sending my injectors off to Kerma for a sonic cleaning and rebuild before solving the issue. Now that I know first hand how important clean fuel is I will be changing my fuel filter a little more often...Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts